• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing the same thing over and over again?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4265
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4265

Have you ever written the same thing over and over again? I have no trouble coming up with plots for novels, but every time I try to write a short story I end up back at the same story. Sometimes its fictitious, sometimes its even fantasy, but at its heart its always about a real-life experience of mine. I'm not sure if I just can't let go of that experience or if I'm just devoid of short story ideas so I keep coming back to that one or what.

I'd really like to try my hand at writing short stories, maybe even getting something small published before I finish my WIP, but every time I try to write short fiction my mind goes blank and I think about that story.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is there a way to get over it. I'm seriously considering giving up on trying to write anything that isn't a novel.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
There are themes that I found myself revisiting. For me, the best way to get over anything is to just write the story, write it again, and again, until I'm tired of writing it and find something more interesting to tackle.

glutton

Inkling
Well, I basically have only two MC types - super badass hardened female warrior who can take on just about anything and less badass newbie female warrior who still has bucketloads of determination and heart. lol

Guy

Inkling
It's not at all unusual for writers to explore the same theme in multiple works. Coming at it from different angles or perspectives can keep things fresh. And the more you explore a theme, the more your understanding of it improves, thus giving you new options.

C

Chessie

Well, I basically have only two MC types - super badass hardened female warrior who can take on just about anything and less badass newbie female warrior who still has bucketloads of determination and heart. lol
To be fair, that's just your style. It's your artistic contribution so in a way, although you're writing the same type of characters....you've created a brand. Dig?

The OP's question...sigh...so familiar with it. For the longest time I wrote about Zina in like 3 different novels. I have finally moved on...but one day I just decided that I needed to let her go. I may never publish a novel with her as the main character and that's totally okay. It may just be that your story is constantly evolving because you're improving as a writer and one day, you'll tell the right version of it.

Don't give up on writing novels, but DO write shorts. They are different beasts. Short is condensed. Long means more development. But they are both good ways to exercise your skill and grow as a writer. Don't despair. Keep going, keep working, and just create what feels right in the present.

Peat

Sage
I've actually abandoned a story 10,000 words in because it seemed too similar to another character.

There's a number of quite big authors who've been accused of this 'sin' too *cougheddingscough*

D

Deleted member 4265

To be fair, that's just your style. It's your artistic contribution so in a way, although you're writing the same type of characters....you've created a brand. Dig?

The OP's question...sigh...so familiar with it. For the longest time I wrote about Zina in like 3 different novels. I have finally moved on...but one day I just decided that I needed to let her go. I may never publish a novel with her as the main character and that's totally okay. It may just be that your story is constantly evolving because you're improving as a writer and one day, you'll tell the right version of it.

Don't give up on writing novels, but DO write shorts. They are different beasts. Short is condensed. Long means more development. But they are both good ways to exercise your skill and grow as a writer. Don't despair. Keep going, keep working, and just create what feels right in the present.

This is exactly what I needed to hear right now. Thanks.

Peat

Sage
Just look at Clive Cussler and Lee Child. Kind of writing the same thing over and over but people enjoy it.

Bernard Cornwell... Tom Clancy...

I don't think there's a single better way to get *big* in selling books than to constantly put out books where the reader sees your name on the cover and knows *exactly* what they're getting.

Bernard Cornwell... Tom Clancy...

I don't think there's a single better way to get *big* in selling books than to constantly put out books where the reader sees your name on the cover and knows *exactly* what they're getting.

Exactly right. That's how people build a brand for themselves.

I'd really like to try my hand at writing short stories, maybe even getting something small published before I finish my WIP, but every time I try to write short fiction my mind goes blank and I think about that story.

Maybe you could just write short stories set in the same world as your novel? Perhaps there are aspects of your world building, historical events or persons, that you know you won't explore in the novel with any depth. Writing stories about those things could help you develop your sense of that world. Or maybe stories involving distant lands or races within your world. Or maybe if your novel tends to center around the aristocracy, you could write stories about the underclass; or, vice versa.

That's my plan. Try and wrap up the main story in as few novels as needed and then write spin-offs dealing with different characters, time periods, etc., in that world.