• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Father-Daughter Relationship

Mindfire

Istar
So I'm thinking about putting in a subplot about my main character's relationship with his daughter later on. The idea is that he expected to have sons- male heirs and all that. But he has one son and one daughter, who I'm considering making the older child. Because of this he shows his son some subtle favoritism while his daughter clamors for his attention. His wife chastises him for this. As it happens, his favoritism toward his son puts him in the wrong place at the wrong time and his legs are injured, causing him to slowly lose his ability to walk. Now Nendwa Forest being the kind of place it is and the Mako being the kind of people they are (hunters, warriors, etc.) you can understand how if you're supposed to inherit the throne, being crippled is a major disadvantage. And as if that didn't make it clear enough, the Worldmaker (i.e. God) calls the boy to another path which prevents him from taking the throne anyway. Consequently, my main character is practically forced to make his daughter his heir. He learns his lesson about parental favoritism and he and his daughter grow closer as the story goes on.

Here's the problem: I don't want it to seem like his daughter only gets the heir-ship and her father's equal appreciation by default. Suggestions?

FatCat

Maester
Perhaps you could have the daughter insist on having some kind of authority role, not the Ruler but some lesser position? Have her slowly build respect through her performance in said job, and by the time the father has to make the decision of the heir, a relationship was already built but only fully recognized at the end.

Sparkie

Auror
I'd make sure the daughter is proactive. Have her accomplish goals she sets for herself. The son, on the other hand, should be more reactive and possibly more passive.

Just my two cents.

Mindfire

Istar
I'd make sure the daughter is proactive. Have her accomplish goals she sets for herself. The son, on the other hand, should be more reactive and possibly more passive.

Just my two cents.

Well the son isn't lazy or incompetent, he's just called to a different path- a more spiritual one.

Jamber

Sage
Hi Mindfire,

Your king seems pretty tied to the notion of masculine ascension. In that case, would it be a little more dramatic to have him continue to doubt her even after giving her (grudging) rights to heirship? Would she go against his rule, would she fall in behind him as dutiful lackey and ruler-in-waiting, would she branch out on her own as a warrior-princess cementing his throne even as he fails to see her tactics in a good light because of his lost hopes?

I think for her ascension not to seem 'by default' we need to see that she deserves the throne far more than the son ever could have. Perhaps this means she's a better warrior in terms of forward-thinking, strategy, or willpower and drive. Once she's been named successor I imagine the king would have her appointed in a more important role, but he might not show much interest in her successes. Maybe she develops relationships with another powerful kingdom, or shows cleverness in handling conflict with other kingdoms over borders or shipping. Maybe the current king is the sort of curmudgeon who doesn't realise until his deathbed (you could really string this out as a semi-tragedy) that his daughter really was the heir he wanted (and by then, maybe she's too bitter to care?).

I've no idea of your backstory or general world so forgive me if this isn't very helpful. I really like the situation you've set up, and feel it has a lot of dramatic potential.

cheers
Jennie

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
Hi Mindfire,

Your king seems pretty tied to the notion of masculine ascension. In that case, would it be a little more dramatic to have him continue to doubt her even after giving her (grudging) rights to heirship? Would she go against his rule, would she fall in behind him as dutiful lackey and ruler-in-waiting, would she branch out on her own as a warrior-princess cementing his throne even as he fails to see her tactics in a good light because of his lost hopes?

I think for her ascension not to seem 'by default' we need to see that she deserves the throne far more than the son ever could have. Perhaps this means she's a better warrior in terms of forward-thinking, strategy, or willpower and drive. Once she's been named successor I imagine the king would have her appointed in a more important role, but he might not show much interest in her successes. Maybe she develops relationships with another powerful kingdom, or shows cleverness in handling conflict with other kingdoms over borders or shipping. Maybe the current king is the sort of curmudgeon who doesn't realise until his deathbed (you could really string this out as a semi-tragedy) that his daughter really was the heir he wanted (and by then, maybe she's too bitter to care?).

I've no idea of your backstory or general world so forgive me if this isn't very helpful. I really like the situation you've set up, and feel it has a lot of dramatic potential.

cheers
Jennie

Thanks, Jennie! I like your suggestions, but I fear I may have accidentally put the son in a bad light. To underscore what I said above, he's not a bad or incompetent person, just not suited to the role. During the events of the story he's called to become a priest more or less. But to the point, I'll start looking for places to implement your suggestions.

Jamber

Sage
Hi Mindfire, you're welcome (glad you felt it was helpful!). :)

Absolutely you haven't put the son in a bad light — it's clear he's not suited to be ruler (or doesn't want to be), but that's not in any way a negative except perhaps in his very particular setting. I'd be really interested to see how he develops as a character.

best wishes
Jennie

Kit

Maester
It might also be interesting if the people who are under rulership here come to favor the daughter over the son, so that dad is pretty much the only holdout.