• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ticking Clock as Motivation

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So I rarely ever post questions about something I'm actually working on, but I wanted to get some opinions. In my current WIP, I had a plan for a character to get poisoned on purpose by another character so she will help him find a long sought after anti-venom for various poisons. My MC has other motivations in the story, but I was wondering if poisoning her and putting a "ticking clock" so to speak on trying to discover the cure would overshadow her other motivations: redemption in the eyes of the public for something she was framed for and remaking her image as a champion of the common people and not a lackey of the rich elite like she was before.

So her 3 motivations are:

1. Redemption
2. Remolding her image
3. Self-preservation

I wonder in this case if her self-preservation may trump her other two motivations, which feel what I want my story to be about the most. I want the poisoning (which is slow acting and doesn't cause immediate side effects) to always be in the back of her mind so she has to work fast.

I worry if this over-complicates things too much. If so, I don't want to include it. But if it sounds like something that could be another good thing to drive the plot forward, then I'd like to use it because it gives her more of a sense of urgency.

Should I include this poisoning as a potential sub-plot and motivator or should I focus on my original motivations only?

Thanks in advance!

I wonder in this case if her self-preservation may trump her other two motivations, which feel what I want my story to be about the most. I want the poisoning (which is slow acting and doesn't cause immediate side effects) to always be in the back of her mind so she has to work fast.

I worry if this over-complicates things too much. If so, I don't want to include it. But if it sounds like something that could be another good thing to drive the plot forward, then I'd like to use it because it gives her more of a sense of urgency.

Firstly, I do not think that this over-complicates things, unless you are trying to keep this specific character somewhat more static and flat (which you might do for any number of reasons). In fact, I find that the more complex a character's motivations are, the more fascinating the character.

I think that the poisoning is a good driver for your plot and would achieve your desired goal of urgency. As for your concern that self-preservation would overwhelm the other two motivations, I think that you are correct in that--but I also think that it could lead to some very interesting character development.

You say your character is focused on redemption and remolding her image, and that these are the most important to your tale. My advice is this: proceed with your poisoning plot and allow the character to question her own motivations. Let her be ashamed of or struggle with the base survivalism that now drives her. This will both emphasize the importance of your two main motivations and add depth to the character. In my opinion, no one ever does something for one--or even two--reasons. People are very complex and every act has an entire life's worth of motivators behind it.

That's just my two cents, so enjoy with a few grains of salt.

Though on the topic of complex motivations, you might enjoy researching systems theory, which is a theory in psychology that all human actions are influenced by the entire "system" (relationships, experience, education, etc.) of a person's life. My husband does some counseling work and he told me about this when he was studying it. It's pretty interesting, and it has definitely influenced the way that I write characters.

Good luck with your WIP, I hope you find the solution that best fits your needs.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Firstly, I do not think that this over-complicates things, unless you are trying to keep this specific character somewhat more static and flat (which you might do for any number of reasons). In fact, I find that the more complex a character's motivations are, the more fascinating the character.

First, thanks a ton for the in-depth response. I really appreciate it. I think you touch on some things that I hadn't thought about. I'm not interested in keeping the character flat. The fact that she has all these different issues: abandonment problems, superiority complex, guilt, confusion, figuring out her moral compass, I think makes her one of my more interesting characters I've created so far. I'm not sure if that's coming out in my draft yet, but I have it all there to execute. She is, at times, a somewhat self-centered person, so the poisoning could bring out that element in her more. However, it could also bring out something more in her because the poisoning was designed for her to help someone else. But if she chooses to help the greater good or to help herself and one other person, that may be an interesting element to add to the story.

I think that the poisoning is a good driver for your plot and would achieve your desired goal of urgency. As for your concern that self-preservation would overwhelm the other two motivations, I think that you are correct in that--but I also think that it could lead to some very interesting character development.

I was hoping that would be the ultimate desired effect. I wouldn't want this to just be "Oh no, I have to save my ass" but have multiple things involved. I'm not exactly sure I'm even sold on the poisoning itself. I'm thinking if time is against her in another way, that may also serve the same purpose. For now I'm interested in this poisoning though, so that's what I've latched onto.

You say your character is focused on redemption and remolding her image, and that these are the most important to your tale. My advice is this: proceed with your poisoning plot and allow the character to question her own motivations. Let her be ashamed of or struggle with the base survivalism that now drives her. This will both emphasize the importance of your two main motivations and add depth to the character. In my opinion, no one ever does something for one--or even two--reasons. People are very complex and every act has an entire life's worth of motivators behind it.

That's a very good slant to take. Having her feel guilty about her own situation while seeing other people's greater misery around her may effect not only her attempt at redemption but also her chance to mold herself differently in the eyes of the public that has always seen her as arrogant and self-serving.

That's just my two cents, so enjoy with a few grains of salt.

Though on the topic of complex motivations, you might enjoy researching systems theory, which is a theory in psychology that all human actions are influenced by the entire "system" (relationships, experience, education, etc.) of a person's life. My husband does some counseling work and he told me about this when he was studying it. It's pretty interesting, and it has definitely influenced the way that I write characters.

Good luck with your WIP, I hope you find the solution that best fits your needs.

That's something to consider. I'm becoming more and more fascinated in psychology when developing characters instead of just "so and so wants to be a king, hero, etc." I recently wrote a story that's in an anthology about a "Chosen One" who is supposed to slay an ancient dragon and free the region from it's tyranny. The Chosen One just happened to be a sociopath though. Exploring these kinds of characters is something I'd love to do more of, so I'm going to try to check out systems theory.

Thanks again a lot! I appreciate the comments. I'm interested to hear what others may say, but I think you already made a pretty convincing argument.

Last edited:
You have a point, life or death tends to distract from other themes, if you aren't careful. The key might be in making clear that she wanted to redeem herself before (if it were only her mortality that pushed her to action, that's harder, but you could try to show she was already haunted)-- but more than that, the more saving herself actually coincides with her larger mission, the harder you have to work to show which is the priority. You've got some great ideas for digging through those, but keeping the point clear could easily get lost.

Will there be a moment when she delays the search as it applies to her own cure for the sake of the larger quest (say, choosing to go for more samples or find an overall expert, passing up a chance to test a rough antidote on herself)? If the plot makes the distinction at least once, the message gets clearer.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
You have a point, life or death tends to distract from other themes, if you aren't careful. The key might be in making clear that she wanted to redeem herself before (if it were only her mortality that pushed her to action, that's harder, but you could try to show she was already haunted)-- but more than that, the more saving herself actually coincides with her larger mission, the harder you have to work to show which is the priority. You've got some great ideas for digging through those, but keeping the point clear could easily get lost.

Her hope for redemption for something she didn't do happens before her poisoning, so she is already hoping to clear her name before she is poisoned. However, there isn't much time after (maybe one chapter?) So my hope is to hammer that fact home before she's poisoned, so it doesn't just seem like she's only worried about curing herself, but also her larger hope of clearing her name. I guess I'd see-saw between the two motivators for most of the story: saving herself or saving others. Not a very complex theme, but it's all a matter of execution. I'm still on the fence about poisoning. I'm thinking of a time sensitive option that may not put her life in danger, but may put something else she holds dear in danger, say her reputation. I'm weighing my options at the moment. I'm leaning toward the poisoning, but I don't want this to be a "Woman gets poisoned and tries to find a cure to save herself" story. I'm keeping this in mind before I go forward with it.

Will there be a moment when she delays the search as it applies to her own cure for the sake of the larger quest (say, choosing to go for more samples or find an overall expert, passing up a chance to test a rough antidote on herself)? If the plot makes the distinction at least once, the message gets clearer.

I do have several moments planned where she wants to hurry and do a certain thing to help herself, but is pulled along to do something else that isn't going to help her and may actually slow her down. So she has to make some decisions like that as the story advances. Maybe sometimes she chooses to help herself and causes others to suffer while other times she helps others and increases her chances of dying.

Thanks for the different perspective. I'm still having a hard time deciding if I should go through with this element of the story. On one hand, it can add another dimension I'd like, but I don't know if I necessarily want a life or death situation on the line. Like I said, maybe her overall reputation, a curse, some kind of blackmail or other threat, I'm not sure.

Cheers!

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Yes, the poisoning IMHO would overshadow her other motivations. Self-preservation becomes the top priority because everything else can be accomplished later once a cure for poisoning is found.

One thing you could do is to add that ticking clock later in the story as a upping the ante sort of thing, putting your character into a more dire situation. Maybe put the chance for redemption and remoulding of image against gaining the cure. Maybe make the character make a really hard choice, cure for themselves or something larger, saving another person's life from jeopardy. Maybe some else is poisoned etc.

Making your character choose between themselves and another will show exactly what type of person your character is. Are they the selfless hero, or are they something more grey?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
That's a good point as well. Perhaps I'll think of some other sort of ticking clock moment and maybe even factor in the poisoning later (or not at all). I would like to add that element to the story one way or another, but not to where it is overshadowing other points.

I wouldn't want this to just be "Oh no, I have to save my ass" but have multiple things involved. I'm not exactly sure I'm even sold on the poisoning itself. I'm thinking if time is against her in another way, that may also serve the same purpose. For now I'm interested in this poisoning though, so that's what I've latched onto.

I had to laugh at this, because I relate to it so much.

There's a scene in my WIP that I am struggling with. It's supposed to connect into the overarching theme of the book, but I look at it and wonder if it's just a "have to save my ass" moment. I want to have this element in my story, but I worry if it's just an easy way out and that I am using the first low-hanging fruit on the plot device tree. My name for this current problem is CPD: Cheap Plot Device.

You are in good company when it comes to second-guessing your plot choices. But for what it's worth, I think that the poisoning is a good idea and it does not sound like a CYA or CPD move at all.

Helen

Inkling
I was wondering if poisoning her and putting a "ticking clock" so to speak on trying to discover the cure would overshadow her other motivations...

So her 3 motivations are:

1. Redemption
2. Remolding her image
3. Self-preservation

I wonder in this case if her self-preservation may trump her other two motivations, which feel what I want my story to be about the most.

The point of the journey is to change (which includes things like 1. Redemption, 2. Remolding her image).

The ticking clock (3. Self-preservation) pushes the hero onto the journey.

Like Escape From New York, where the ticking clock is a tool to get the hero going and keep going (you don't have to keep finding excuses to move between locations) and to raise the stakes. It doesn't detract from the change.

Agreed, the journey is there for change. The trick is that if the MC has an obvious exterior goal, the interior goals risk being overshadowed. Some "Escape From New York"-style stories that drag an MC into the action succeed in convincing us his internal change on the way becomes more important; many don't.

One thought, since she actually has three goals, it also emphasizes the move away from survival whenever you then play up the evolution through the other two. Maybe she's been keeping her poisoning secret so posterity doesn't write her off as someone who's only changed her ways to save herself, and then she has to let the secret out in order to move forward or to help someone else.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Hmm...more good points. I had moved away from the poisoning idea, but now I'm thinking about it again more. Probably not at the beginning of the story, but later on? However, maybe its not even be the right idea for this story, which is something I may have to come to terms with. I could use the same plot point or motivator in a different story just as well.

What I'm doing instead (at the moment) is having the MC held against her will. The longer she is held, the more things get out of control and the worse her reputation gets smeared on the outside. Then once she is out, she has to do damage control, which involves taking care of some "bards" who have been spreading rumors about her and getting them to change their tune. Change their tune, get it? OK...sorry. She also has to contend with several other external factors that will slow her down as well.

So the time element is still there. The more bards that spread these lies about her, the worse her reputation becomes. The worse her reputation becomes, the harder it's going to be to achieve her two main two goals 1. redemption and 2. remolding her image.

This element works in the same way, but instead of her life being on the line, its her image that's on the line. It's not as drastic, but still just as harmful to her.