• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Recent content by A. E. Lowan

  1. A. E. Lowan

    How to set the scene.

    I'm notorious for very streamlined descriptions. Just the facts, sir. I'm also heavily trained in poetry. These two make for really interesting Urban Fantasy. We write with lyrical language at a thriller pace. It really does work. ~Pause to comment. There is only one rule to writing. Writers...
  2. A. E. Lowan

    Changing the MC's name after a couple of chapters?

    One of our characters regularly goes by three different names: one true, one a slur, and one he earned. Queen's Son, Summer's Get, and Knight. He usually wears them like armor, and anyone who thinks that he's going to get wound up by being called Summer's Get needs to get to know him better...
  3. A. E. Lowan

    How Epic Fantasy Writes So Many Characters at Once

    Yeah... ~~ Winter felt a trickle of fear for her vulnerability. Because he was right—she was simply not that kind of wizard. And she needed the fear of things in this city that could tear her flesh from bone without dropping their triple caramel macchiato. “No one needs to know that,” she...
  4. A. E. Lowan

    Most recent books you bought.

    Does this last one say something like, "My Little History Book for Folks/Normal People?"
  5. A. E. Lowan

    How Epic Fantasy Writes So Many Characters at Once

    I've got 500 idiots from the Books of Binding living rent free in my head. It's a multigenerational family saga and good lord, it's a big family. And then there's the city itself. You'd be in heaven. lol
  6. A. E. Lowan

    Chapter length?

    We do the one scene per chapter thing because I used to have problems with this. Chapter length is one of those craft things where what matters is the music. This is what I mean. This is how I hear writing. So, what I hear when drafting is the flow of the sounds and emotion and conflict back...
  7. A. E. Lowan

    How do you keep dread alive when nothing scary is happening yet?

    Maybe? lol It's the one with the clown with the red balloon.
  8. A. E. Lowan

    How do you keep dread alive when nothing scary is happening yet?

    I saw the first few minutes of the new The Thing - that's the one with the clown? I don't watch Horror, which is funny as hell of you've ever read the Books of Binding, so those few moments scared the snot out of me. You see, I hallucinate, and often that's what I see. So, of course it now lives...
  9. A. E. Lowan

    What makes you give up on a book?

    That's the textbook definition of Romance. Probably good to just avoid if that's not your speed.
  10. A. E. Lowan

    What is your worlds stance on lgbtq folks?

    I know you know the answer to this, Karlin, but I'm going to explain for the rest of the class. For the wealthy and the landed and the male few would object to who a male is penetrating, as long as family responsibilities are met. Note the caveat. The men who got in trouble were the ones...
  11. A. E. Lowan

    What do you listen to?

    I listen to a very broad range of music. I listen to music pretty much the entire time I'm awake because it helps me focus and be able to quiet the noise in my head. K-pop is a big contributor to the soundtrack of our stories. Been listening to that since I gamed with a Korean girl who would...
  12. A. E. Lowan

    What is your worlds stance on lgbtq folks?

    Depends on the series. In our Urban Fantasy series, the Books of Binding, Seahaven is about 160 miles from Seattle. It's a pretty granola town, similar vibe as Seattle but with a much higher homicide rate. All three of our current MMC's are bi, two rabbits are a rabbit-specific sort of trans...
  13. A. E. Lowan

    I want to comprise a list (Of villains)...

    Sweetness! I had a case of the missing favorites and looking for this one specifically, and... yeah. I'm a dork. lol
  14. A. E. Lowan

    Need Modern Material for Tough, Flexible Armor

    Also somewhere in Seahaven, proving that even crafty coyotes can be dipsticks, sometimes.
  15. A. E. Lowan

    I want to comprise a list (Of villains)...

    This might be useful. The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
Top