• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Recent content by JLiana

  1. JLiana

    Just had a realisation...

    For sure, for now I'm just writing the third chapter as a third chapter, and then I'll see how the rest of it goes before I get rid of anything. :)
  2. JLiana

    Just had a realisation...

    Yeah, absolutely! I'm learning to cut things in my writing, I knew cutting chapters would eventually creep up and get me. But I super agree that everything that my MC has gone through can be revealed throughout CH3 onwards. Part of my outline is "memory" chapters, just a paragraph or half page...
  3. JLiana

    Just had a realisation...

    Oh, absolutely! I don't regret the effort, either. It helped me figure out how I write!
  4. JLiana

    Just had a realisation...

    Oh yeah, definitely! I'm not stopping because of this, I need to actually finish a first draft lol. It just made my head spin because I put so much effort into the first two chapters. 🤣
  5. JLiana

    Just had a realisation...

    I just realised the opening of my third chapter would be a fantastic hook for the introduction of my MC. Which would mean scrapping the first two chapters I wrote. Which means I'd be back at having...one chapter. What do you folks think? CH1: "Three herons sprang from the water, toward a...
  6. JLiana

    Writing fantasy where magic isn't super relevant to the plot.

    Oh, there's monsters, magic, etc, it's just they're not exactly super important to the overall story. I saw a critique elsewhere that said signalling genre is important early on, so I was curious what other people thought. 😊
  7. JLiana

    First or third person?

    Who's telling the story? What is the story? Who knows!
  8. JLiana

    Writing fantasy where magic isn't super relevant to the plot.

    Hello lovely people. Just wondering what the take is on stories set in a fantasy setting, but lack a lot of the elements that make a story...fantasy. Like magic or dragons. The book I'm writing is more character focused and the obstacles don't include slaying monsters and whatnot (though a...
  9. JLiana

    First or third person?

    Thank you, I'll give this a read! 😊
  10. JLiana

    First or third person?

    My thinking is that my MC definitely needs someone to push against her in a way that challenges her worldviews, attitudes, etc. She has a reason to leave her situation, something to move towards, and there's moments I have planned out - I just think it might be a little boring if it's just her...
  11. JLiana

    First or third person?

    So far I've written in first person subjective with a little interior monologuing. I think I'd write it in third omniscient to retain some interiority. I think my main concern is getting across character emotion within the framework of the story, and maybe third omniscient would be better for...
  12. JLiana

    First or third person?

    I've never actually read a book written like that, to be honest!
  13. JLiana

    First or third person?

    Yeah, I won't lie when I say it's part of the reason I'm reconsidering it.
  14. JLiana

    First or third person?

    I'm about 4 chapters into my novel, and I'm questioning the POV I'm writing in. So far I've written from the first person perspective of my MC Mielli, because the story is ultimately about her journey to recover from trauma (so it seemed natural). Recently I decided that I'm going to give her...
  15. JLiana

    What random rabbit holes have you gone down while researching?

    I see what you mean! In my defense, I did search "what painkillers were used in medieval Finland" (the story I'm writing about is loosely based on Finland's climate, so I wanted to know about specific plants), it's just too easy for me to click on the other links on Wikipedia. But I will keep...
Top