• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Damsels in distress?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Then it makes even more sense to want them both to die lol - no danger of the kingdom falling into chaos without a ruler.

I suppose... but I'm not sure it would play out too nicely with the multi-sided conflict going on elsewhere. Fiachra is a huge part of that, so he'd naturally be at the forefront when that boils over. No chance of letting him sneak behind his father to stab him in the back or anything. Also, that'd be a hard thing for him to do anyway, given the huge crowds present at Ariel's public execution (which is thwarted, but STILL). Even if he were invisible (which is entirely possible), he'd probably raise suspicion by bumping into people or stepping on toes.

I'd love to throw Madoc in a cage with an appropriately powerful savage creature... yeah working off limited knowledge of the character but still... DEATH WAITS FOR NO MAN (or fey).

Then it seems I'm doing my job well. ^^ I just hope Fiachra is characterized enough so as to deserve the same fate.

glutton

Inkling
Then it seems I'm doing my job well. ^^ I just hope Fiachra is characterized enough so as to deserve the same fate.

Hopefully although I tend to get angry more quickly at ignorant assholes than at just evil assholes for some reason - I don't have much of an impression of Fiachra yet but it comes across clearly that Madoc has no Respect for individual rights, and deserves a dose of how it feels to be powerless and learn that he himself is only mortal (or uh... 'vincible') and not so superior when it comes down to it.

AstralCat

Scribe
The only thing that makes the Damsal in Distress trope a bad thing is that it happens almost exclusively to girls, thus perpetuating the myth that women are weak and need to be protected.

However, the truth is that all of us, male and female, get in trouble. We all need someone to rescue us sometimes. And sometimes the person who rescued you will later need you to rescue them. That's just how friendship works, and it's beautiful.

So basically, it's okay for a girl to need to be rescued by her friends sometimes, just so long as she rescues her friends sometimes too. This is realistic, and not sexist. :3

Helen

Inkling
I'm finally getting back to work on Winter's Queen, and I have a question about my use of the Damsel in Distress trope. For the most part I've done my best to subvert it by having the MC, Ariel, do all she can to save herself when she gets into trouble time and again, and she lampshades her defiance as well: "None of this damsel-in-distress nonsense." Unfortunately, the climax of the story involves her getting into trouble she cannot escape on her own (and is in no emotional state to try), thereby playing the trope straight. I can post examples if anyone needs specifics. Is that a bad thing, or am I worrying too much about a minor issue?

I reckon this topic has been doing the rounds because of August / Mazin podcast 116.

What was funny, was that they said they were using it themselves in their WIP!

There are solid story reason why it's used.

I reckon it's like everything else - you just have to do it in a new and interesting way.

For sure, you'll see it many, many times in successful films and stories of the future.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Hopefully although I tend to get angry more quickly at ignorant assholes than at just evil assholes for some reason - I don't have much of an impression of Fiachra yet but it comes across clearly that Madoc has no Respect for individual rights, and deserves a dose of how it feels to be powerless and learn that he himself is only mortal (or uh... 'vincible') and not so superior when it comes down to it.

Oh, yes, that is spot on. As for Fiachra, he deserves to be knocked down a peg or three too. He's arrogant, domineering, abusive, ambitious to a fault, and just generally insufferable as a person. He puts up fronts, of course, but his first meeting with Ariel left a heck of an impression (on both of them - literally in Fiachra's case), so she knows when he's BS-ing and won't stand for it.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
The only thing that makes the Damsal in Distress trope a bad thing is that it happens almost exclusively to girls, thus perpetuating the myth that women are weak and need to be protected.

However, the truth is that all of us, male and female, get in trouble. We all need someone to rescue us sometimes. And sometimes the person who rescued you will later need you to rescue them. That's just how friendship works, and it's beautiful.

So basically, it's okay for a girl to need to be rescued by her friends sometimes, just so long as she rescues her friends sometimes too. This is realistic, and not sexist. :3

Hello Astralcat, and thanks for your opinion. :) I think I should state that Ariel's father and uncle face their own share of tough times as they trek through Faerie, but for the most part they have each others' backs. At one point they're both in trouble, and Fiachra's sister Meabh has to help them both. Unfortunately they don't get the chance to reciprocate, unless I decide I want to finish the sequel. I'm not sure though; Winter's Queen works well as a stand-alone.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
BTW, who does the title refer to?

It refers to Ariel, or rather, what she would be if Fiachra's plans succeeded. Marrying him while he's a prince would make her a princess, but if Fiachra became king, Ariel would be the queen of the Winter Court - i.e. Winter's Queen.

glutton

Inkling
It refers to Ariel, or rather, what she would be if Fiachra's plans succeeded. Marrying him while he's a prince would make her a princess, but if Fiachra became king, Ariel would be the queen of the Winter Court - i.e. Winter's Queen.

Ah. The name made me imagine someone very cold, icy, emotionless etc. lol.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Ah. The name made me imagine someone very cold, icy, emotionless etc. lol.

Yeah, that's about the opposite of Ariel. XD She's warm and full of emotion. ^^ The only reasons she's the one Fiachra chooses for a bride are because a) he thinks she's hot and can bear him pretty children, and b) she believes in his kind in a time when most others don't, that being the 21st century.

senseiseth

Troubadour
Hey Ireth,

I think there isn't a problem with someone getting into a situation where they can't get out. If she's been able to get out before, and is finally hit the end of her rope and just can't go on. We're all human and humans have their limits that can come at the worst possible moment.

And having her hit hat point at the climax can be a very poignant event in the character's development. But this also depends on how she handles the situation too. I mean, her resigning to her fate and not doing anything at all is one thing, but having a friend arrive and help her escape is entirely different. And for perspective other heroes have had to have help getting their rear ends bailed out of a few fires.

Sir Launcelot needed to be bailed from prison at least once, though I want to say twice in Le Morte D'Arthur.

Batman has needed to get help when he's gotten the jump made on him.

Luke, Wolverine, and lot of guys have been in the rut, but it's the climb back and the conquering of their problems that make them better, superior, and dare I say Hella-Kickass-icus (no offense to anyone with Latin/Roman/Italian heritage, seriously, wasn't trying to be a jerk here.)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
But this also depends on how she handles the situation too. I mean, her resigning to her fate and not doing anything at all is one thing, but having a friend arrive and help her escape is entirely different.

That's true, but ultimately they both happen. First Ariel resigns herself to her fate, and when she thinks all hope is lost, help arrives literally at the last possible second to save her neck. From the beginning she has a vague hope that the help will come at some point, but that was before the villain went and moved the goalposts, so to speak. Now all bets are off, and the help she's hoping for could come too late. It doesn't, of course, but there's no way Ariel can know that until the very moment.