• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nations in your world

Wow. I feel like such a slacker. My efforts have been devoted to story and plot. My world building has been focused on the magic system(s) and things like how stuff works. My nation building has been focused entirely on one country where most of the action takes place. As I have been writing, I have hinted at a couple of others, but the rest of my world is kind of empty. But, then, most of the other countries follow some form of feudalism.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Wow, how do you manage to keep the story straight on 20 different nation states? Do they all play into a single story or is it a series of stories in a larger world you're developing? I can't manage much more than 4-6 "nations" in fear that I'll start mixing them up and be inconsistent.

In my case, its not a single story, but a growing collection of short stories, novella's and a not overly long novels. Characters from one story sometimes appear or get mentioned in another. Toki the mage and Hock-Nar his hobgoblin companion roam Cimmar and the southern plains. On the other side of the Cauldron, the Solarian mage Lysander struggles to unlock the mysteries of Traags demon based magic. In Solaria's heartland, the budding merchants assistant Tia stumbles into one dark situation after another. The arrogant nobleman Titus Maximus embarks on a quest taking him from southern Solaria to the far side of the world. Plus other tales.