• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings from the other side of the world

Adalind

Dreamer
I’m Adalind, a name that I shamelessly stole from one of my favourite TV shows (feel free to guess which one). I’m a PhD student from Austria (aka the other side of the world to most of you), and I (mostly) write fantasy.

English is not my native language. I only learned it when I was about ten years old. But I lived in Canada, I mostly post on English forums, and most of the books I read are in English, so I’m confident that I can write a decent novel in English. Other have done it before.

The series I’m currently working on follows the adventures of a certain Davian, a notorious thief and liar who unwillingly participates in the ressurection of a dark king, ends up in a magic school without having magic himself, infiltrates a cult that worships a giant snake and pretends to be the long lost grandson of an old nobleman — and much more.

My favourite fantasy series include the Gentleman Bastard sequence by Scott Lynch, Patrick Rothfuss‘ Kingkiller Chronicles, Karl Edward Wagner’s Kane stories and Michael Moorcock’s wonderful books about Elric of Melniboné, so you’ll probably find things that have been inspired by them in my stories.

I’m really looking forward to getting to know all of you.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Adalind
Good to have you here.
Dive on in and paddle around the water is lovely...

Russ

Istar
I’m Adalind, a name that I shamelessly stole from one of my favourite TV shows (feel free to guess which one). I’m a PhD student from Austria (aka the other side of the world to most of you), and I (mostly) write fantasy.

English is not my native language. I only learned it when I was about ten years old. But I lived in Canada, I mostly post on English forums, and most of the books I read are in English, so I’m confident that I can write a decent novel in English. Other have done it before.

The series I’m currently working on follows the adventures of a certain Davian, a notorious thief and liar who unwillingly participates in the ressurection of a dark king, ends up in a magic school without having magic himself, infiltrates a cult that worships a giant snake and pretends to be the long lost grandson of an old nobleman – and much more.

My favourite fantasy series include the Gentleman Bastard sequence by Scott Lynch, Patrick Rothfuss‘ Kingkiller Chronicles, Karl Edward Wagner’s Kane stories and Michael Moorcock’s wonderful books about Elric of Melniboné, so you’ll probably find things that have been inspired by them in my stories.

I’m really looking forward to getting to know all of you.

If you are a fan of Moorcock, you are good in my books.

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and working together to become better writers.

Hallo

Your series sounds pretty intriguing. I believe Nabokov was a native Russian speaker. His English works were quite successful. It can be done. In fact, you might actually know the English language better than many native English speakers. In the US secondary languages aren't taught until high school. You are probably much better with English than you give yourself credit for. One of the benefits of being bi/trilingual (or a polyglot) is that you have a more unique perception of the world and can straddle between cultural lenses. You might find that not all of your thoughts will translate over properly but that can be what makes reading the works of non-native English speakers so refreshing. As someone already pointed out, we are quite diverse as we have members from all over. I look forward to learning more about your writing projects and reading your input on the forums.

Welcome!
Stephanie

Adalind

Dreamer
Thank you for the welcome, everybody!

I've noticed that I can't acess certain parts of this forum until I have 5 posts. Do those posts have to be in a specific subforum?