• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings, other worldly beings

Thank you for allowing me to join this group. I am very excited and to be honest quite nervous.

I have had a yearning to write a fantasy novel for so many years I can’t recall when the seed planted itself in my heart and mind. But I didn’t start it for many many years until very recently. I was afraid - always afraid. Afraid of the pressure of success (not necessarily to be a published author but to say I had finished it at all), making mistakes, losing steam (because I get bored and start other projects but I am determined to finish this one) but mostly because I realise I am playing God. And that is an enormous undertaking. Fun for the most part, but enormous. And who am I to take on such a mammoth task? Little old me is just that: little old me.

So essentially I am new to this. I have purchased an online YA fantasy writing course and have notebooks and character builds as well as notes about ideas that come from nowhere, a mobile that is filled with screenshots and photos of things that inspire me to write about them in my novel. I also have a lot of ideas that I don’t really know how to stitch together to make an epic tale. Oh and the plot! I think that scares me even more. Plot of character building first? It’s a chicken or egg scenario for me. I have done so much writing and playing around with images, words and ideas that I have figured out this isn’t going to be a single novel. It is going to be an epic tale and that frightens the living daylights out of me. JRR Tolkien, JK Rowling, Robin Hobb, JV Jones and Raymond E Feist are my inspiration but heck, to stand next to them in memorium... am I nuts?! I hadn’t realised I was that ambitious! Buuttt... I feel like this is what I am meant to do. So I look forward to learning more about the craft I find myself interested in and about sharing my experiences of self-doubt, frustration and fear while finding myself lost in an imaginary world that I would love to get lost in myself and if it’s a success would love you all to find yourselves in too, God willing.

Many blessings to you.

Laurence

Inkling
Great to have you. You'll have to let us know if anything cool pops up in your course!

On characters vs plot first, you can do either, depending on which you think is a stronger idea. In my current WIP I knew I wanted to write an entire family and then forced them on an epic adventure. I think what's more typical is to have a vague idea of a plot, consider what characters are necessary to fulfil that plot, flesh them out, then tweak the plot's events according to their fleshed out personalities.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Mystical Enchantress
Good to have you here.
We all start somewhere. I found an online writing course very useful in getting me going.
Leap on in and enjoy!

Great to have you. You'll have to let us know if anything cool pops up in your course!

On characters vs plot first, you can do either, depending on which you think is a stronger idea. In my current WIP I knew I wanted to write an entire family and then forced them on an epic adventure. I think what's more typical is to have a vague idea of a plot, consider what characters are necessary to fulfil that plot, flesh them out, then tweak the plot's events according to their fleshed out personalities.

I will do. But so far it’s mainly stuff I know, so am waiting to see if there’s a nugget or two of something genius I don’t know and of course, I will share it.

Excuse me, but what does WIP stand for?

I think I find building characters up first is stronger for me. I find myself creating them and an idea pops up and I write it down with the intention of using it somewhere in the plot.

But I also have a plot line I am building and am placing events in locations to see if it can be built from a skeleton into a fleshed our novel. So I guess I am not sure which feels strongest at the moment, guess I will just have to run with it. I will keep your advice in mind though re what characters may be necessary along the time line.

Thanks for reaching out.