• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Thoughts on creating a new government From the Mid-Evil times to modern time.

I am trying to figure out how certain concepts of government can be configure from the dark ages into today's modern concepts. (Example; if a thief was caught; either they would lose a hand or finger) - how would that convert into today's laws and other crimes?

Do you mean crimes generally? Because the medieval criminal code is pretty easy to find out more about. Drawing and quartering in response for treason, for example.

Or do you mean specifically modern crimes that can only exist in the modern day, like, I dunno, identity theft or automated bank fraud or up the skirt camera shots and other technology-based sexual harassment crimes.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
If you are talking about legal systems, then I've always found the idea of Weregild interesting. The concept was used in a few places and at its most simple is a fixed set of costs for crimes depending on the status of the victim [I never said it was fair]. So killing an average joe might cost you 100 [somethings] but killing a king 30,000. There was a sliding scale for injuries and maimings as well [10 for losing an eye, 50 for loosing an arm]. I could see that being morphed into a modern penal system.
I heard that Finland fixes fines as a proportion of your income rather than a discrete fee. That sound kind of egalitarian, a Richie pays more than someone working on minimum wage...