• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hi all :3

roguewitch

Acolyte
Hi everyone! I was super excited to stumble onto this community, I've been slowly preparing to dip my toes into writing fantasy and have been planning a trilogy for the past three years. I'm a sociologist and non-fiction writer by trade, so while I do a lot of writing, it's mostly either academic or journalistic. Or penning up snarky opinion pieces. And after spending the last two years writing a non-fiction book, I've decided I need a break from that kind of stuff. I'm actually going to embark on a NaNoWriMo adventure come November to flesh out my rough draft and I wanted to immerse myself in a community of fantasy writers and see if i can learn a bit more about the big switch from non-fiction to something more creative. I'm mostly interested in fantasy, science fiction, and horror. But I'd like to dabble in whatever direction my soul takes me.

I'm stoked to meet you all!

:)

roguewitch

Acolyte
Thank you so much pmmg!! I study online hate groups and identity formation on social media with a lean towards understanding how anti-transgender hate groups impact how trans women are able to express themselves publicly or engage in political conversations over social media platforms. The book is contracted for Between the Lines Press in Toronto and explores the stories of trans public figures, their work, the harassment and hate they face, and the consequences of all of this on their personal and public lives. I'm on the last bits of my manuscript, so in a month or two I should be going through copy editing and I'm super stoked to put that book behind me and move onto another project!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Ah, so a little light reading ;). Going to say I will probably pass on a book like that but good luck with it anyway. To have a completed work is a great accomplishment. You should be super stoked. Nano is a challenge i hope you rise to meet it. I think its a good experience for everyone who makes the effort.

roguewitch

Acolyte
Lol, it's a topic that's not for everyone. And it's maybe among the reasons that I'm so exhausted by writing it. Like, a lot of sifting through hateful and violent content and writing about the trauma faced by women online. Yikes. Anyways, I appreciate your comments! I'm very excited for the book tour after the pandemic comes to an end.

Have you done Nano? I did it when I was 18 but the book was so bad that I through it into my pops furnace and watched it burn.

Welcome to the Scribes site roguewitch! I hope it can provide you with inspiration, support and oodles of rabbit holes to fall into along the way! Best of luck finishing up your current project and with its publication. I'm glad to know there is ongoing work being done to write about online harassment/abuse and the trauma it creates. Not sure how we've ended up in a world where hate is equated to, and protected as, opinion but every little thing that helps to bring that darkness, and its effects on others, into the light is work well worth doing. Congrats.

roguewitch

Acolyte
Welcome to the Scribes site roguewitch! I hope it can provide you with inspiration, support and oodles of rabbit holes to fall into along the way! Best of luck finishing up your current project and with its publication. I'm glad to know there is ongoing work being done to write about online harassment/abuse and the trauma it creates. Not sure how we've ended up in a world where hate is equated to, and protected as, opinion but every little thing that helps to bring that darkness, and its effects on others, into the light is work well worth doing. Congrats.

Thanks so much Maker!!! I appreciate it. I think a lot of the women I interviewed are putting a lot on the line to make these conversations public, so I really hope it's worth it. With COVID-19 literally reshaping how misinformation and abuse spreads on the internet, I think there will be a lot more research focusing on these issues soon. It's a pretty scary place!