• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Opinions on romance subplot

Bman10119

Dreamer
So, my current WIP has the main character being thrust into a conflict between groups A, B, and C. Groups A and B are born with a special magic gift, but differ on how to use it. Group C wants to kill both the other two off and any child born with the gift, and their families because it can run in bloodlines. The main character has the gift, and joins group A, but his only friend through childhood who he had always believed he would end up marrying joins group C, causing him all kinds of turmoil when they meet in battle multiple times. He also has to deal with feelings of attraction to a female from group B who is working with him to try to unite A and B, though he knows its only an attraction of lust to her. What I'm wondering is, is it better to leave him devastated with the death of his childhood love and having had a one night stand with the other girl (To perform an ancient magic ritual), or to have one of the male characters who is also from group A, and that he works with and forms an almost brotherly bond with, to have him help console the main character and the two end up in a relationship together. Which would make for a better read? knowing that Im planning the main character to lead a trilogy, and all of this happens within the first story? Thanks!

FireBird

Troubadour
This is sort of like asking if you want an apple or an orange. Personally I would have him with the girl from group B, but thats just my opinion. That being said, I don't know anything about your characters at all. There is no right or wrong answer here. Which one has a greater emotional impact to the story and since this is a trilogy, which side character is more important?

Also this is just a pet peeve of mine, but why does the one night stand have to be because of a magic ritual. Why can't they just want to have sex?

Ghost

Inkling
Which would make for a better read? knowing that Im planning the main character to lead a trilogy, and all of this happens within the first story?

It's difficult to choose because we don't know your characters or your story. You do. It's your call. Without knowing their personalities and how they interact with each other, it's like blindly throwing darts. Getting close to the mark is sheer luck.

I'd say don't pick something based on how it might be received. Pick the one you like better, the one that interests you. Can you see yourself sticking with that choice throughout the trilogy? Could you have one love interest in the first book, yet the MC is interested in the second later on, creating an internal conflict? Between the two, which character do you enjoy writing more? What feels true to the characters and the story you want to tell?

Maybe you can write two scenes showing the MC interacting romantically with one love interest then the other, just to see which feels right.

Bman10119

Dreamer
I think ill try the writing a scene with each character to test the feel. And the main character only does the one night stand because of the sex, the female from the other side is only doing it because of a ritual. She just didn't make it a known fact.

Helen

Inkling
So, my current WIP has the main character being thrust into a conflict between groups A, B, and C. Groups A and B are born with a special magic gift, but differ on how to use it. Group C wants to kill both the other two off and any child born with the gift, and their families because it can run in bloodlines. The main character has the gift, and joins group A, but his only friend through childhood who he had always believed he would end up marrying joins group C, causing him all kinds of turmoil when they meet in battle multiple times. He also has to deal with feelings of attraction to a female from group B who is working with him to try to unite A and B, though he knows its only an attraction of lust to her. What I'm wondering is, is it better to leave him devastated with the death of his childhood love and having had a one night stand with the other girl (To perform an ancient magic ritual), or to have one of the male characters who is also from group A, and that he works with and forms an almost brotherly bond with, to have him help console the main character and the two end up in a relationship together. Which would make for a better read? knowing that Im planning the main character to lead a trilogy, and all of this happens within the first story? Thanks!

If it's a trilogy, you could go with all these options. It could be an on-off-on-off again subplot throughout the trilogy.