• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

3rd person vs. 1st person—which do you like more and why?

I don't have a preference. I used to prefer 1st person, but lately, I don't mind either way as long as it's well written.

I tend to prefer writing in either 1st person or third limited, though. I used to only write in 1st person, but then I started writing in 3rd limited because the story called for it and I'm a lot more comfortable with it now. I still have a hard time with omniscient though.

Prefer third person all the way. First person quickly becomes redundant when you put your character's thoughts in italics in third person, you can get brilliant levels of intimacy with the viewpoint character.

Pretty much the only thing that you can do in first person which you can't do in third person is give a narrative that lies.

My point was that Omniscient is difficult and it is not uncommon to come across a novel in Omni that is poorly done.

I read one like this sometime in the last year or so. 1) The head-hop would happen randomly in the middle of a narrative scene, was very confusing, because I didn't always know I was in a new head until I'd read a few sentences, and 2) some of the "heads" chosen were basically throw-away characters unimportant to the narrative, presumably chosen by the writer to make explication of what was happening (elsewhere and elsewhen) easier for her.

I think there's a fair point when a general audience's unfamiliarity with omniscient approaches is used as a strike against omniscient narrative. That's an irritating point, but it seems to be true. Readers have been so tuned to a close, intimate style of narrative, some simply don't know how to relax into reading an omniscient third--depending on how that omni is presented. The idea of moving from head to head can be jarring for them. I don't think this is a great reason for not using omniscient, except to the degree that an author might find the odds stacked against her.

I'm not a particular fan of one style of POV over another, as a reader. I just want the writing to be good.

As a writer, I have more difficulty with intimate limited third than anything else. I think the reason for this is that I naturally grow bored with such limitation. I can do it for small stretches—I could whip out a few paragraphs no problem, but a whole story? Or else, perhaps it's because I never seem able to develop a solid affinity for most characters I use; this could be a major flaw in me, generally speaking, heh.

Firefly

Troubadour
Prefer third person all the way. First person quickly becomes redundant when you put your character's thoughts in italics in third person, you can get brilliant levels of intimacy with the viewpoint character.

Pretty much the only thing that you can do in first person which you can't do in third person is give a narrative that lies.

Not necessarily, though unreliable narrators are much easier in first.
One of the things people mention a lot when they’re talking about this is that infodumps and longer stretches of description are way easier to get away with in first than they are in third or omniscient. All you have to do to make it interesting is give your character a strong opinion on whatever it is they’re talking about.
You also don’t necessarily need italics to show character’s thoughts in third, It’s common, but it depends on the individual writer’s preference.

A lot of people have been mentioning that a close third can give you just as much intimacy as first, and I wanted to talk about that, because I both agree and disagree at the same time. I think it definetely can be, but in my experience, first usually does it better.
I don’t think it’s the actual words themselves though. I think it has more to do with the mindframe the author is in while writing. Personally, I find it a lot easier to skimp on voice and inner monologue when I’m using third, because I visualize the character from the outside rather than the inside. In first, I often end up with scenes that feel less grounded because I’m focused more on what the character’s saying and what’s going on inside their head.
I don’t know though, it could just be confirmation bias and my own experience making me see things that aren’t really there. I’m curious if something similar really does happen to other writers, and if it does, if it affects you the same way. Especially in omniscient, since I hardly ever use it myself.

I don't know if I've ever read many books written in omniscient; basically LOTR and that was it. Have you ready any others?
If so it would be really nice if you could give me the ins and outs of how it works?

ArelEndan

Scribe
I like both, whether reading or writing. It depends on the story which one works better. I do tend to write more in first-person since I like getting into the characters' heads. But there are times it just doesn't fit the story (even without multiple characters) so I'll write close third.

I don't really favour either because third person can make one book better and suck in another type of book.
I like first person for certain stories (especially children's) because I feel like someone is telling me a personal story about themselves. There are some pros for first. Like it's simpler, you can have an unreliable narrator, quicker to build an attachment between character and reader, you can info dump more easily, but you need a strong voice for it.
Third person - you can cater to a large cast of characters and so do things on a larger scope, it's easier to hide things from the readers, you canbe with that character and see through their eyes. Also, if you have a large cast and a reader isn't keen on your main character they can attach themselves to another character instead and this can keep them reading. In first if they dislike your character or can't relate to them there is no one else for them to hook on to so many put your book down.

So, I think it really depends on the story but also your intended target audience.