• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Alerts suddenly stopped

As of today, I'm no longer receiving alerts when there are new replies to threads I'm watching. There are at least two new posts in one of my watched threads since I was last online, but no alert. I have not changed my preferences. They're still set to receive alerts when my watched threads get new posts. The thread with the new posts is definitely still on my watch list, I checked.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm not sure. How much has this been going on? Has anyone else had issues with this?

Do you mean the emails or the red notification that appears next to your inbox? Even when I start a thread I only receive red inbox alerts when someone quotes or likes my post, which is why I make a point of including quotes in most of my replies. I believe the "Watched List" only refers to the email notifications (which for me are off).

If you can elaborate a bit and confirm that it's an ongoing issue I can investigate.

Have you checked your alert settings? Top right of the page, click on your name/avatar to take you to your settings. Then in the left hand menu, find "Alert preferences". You'll see a list of checkboxes about when you get an alert.

How much has this been going on?
I first noticed it yesterday.

Do you mean the emails or the red notification that appears next to your inbox?
The red notification next to my inbox. I'm not subscribed to email alerts. And it's not just that the red notification doesn't appear, there's no alert at all. If I open the Alerts menu, where past alerts are shown, those alerts aren't there.

Have you checked your alert settings?
Yes. Alerts are checked.

I do have another piece of information now: this thread and one other got replies while I was online yesterday, and those alerts appeared (though I didn't have a chance to come over to this thread then). Since I got offline last night, both threads have been posted in again, and I got no alerts for the posts that came while I was offline. I have no idea if the same thing is happening when someone likes or quotes one of my posts, because as far as I can tell, no one's done so in the last couple days.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Shooting arrows in the dark here, but has anything about your browser changed?

I ask because those alert notifications are part of the Mythic Scribes software, plus cookies on your end. The forum software knows which threads you have subscribed to, but it can't keep track of which ones you've read. That's where the cookies come in. One of the things a browser can do is to erase cookies on exit (closing the browser).

That's just one shot in the dark. I could try others but I keep hearing people scream. <g>

Even when I start a thread I only receive red inbox alerts when someone quotes or likes my post, which is why I make a point of including quotes in most of my replies. I believe the "Watched List" only refers to the email notifications (which for me are off).
No it doesn't. My email notifications are off, too, and I get alerts for my watched threads. If you don't, then either you don't have your preferences set to automatically watch the threads you start or post in (I do), or you have alerts turned off for watched threads (I don't).

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
So did mine, just now.

We license the forum software through a vendor, and it's probably an issue that happened on their end. If it's resolved then let's leave it at that.

No it doesn't. My email notifications are off, too, and I get alerts for my watched threads. If you don't, then either you don't have your preferences set to automatically watch the threads you start or post in (I do), or you have alerts turned off for watched threads (I don't).

You're probably right. It's been years since I've tinkered with those, and something could even have changed. I'll bear that in mind when there are future issues.