• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Any hacks to deal with all those tiny blank spots?

So, I have a short story which is pretty much finished. But I have 5 blank areas where I need to add things like the description of the prison guard or the description of a meal. I often end up with a story that has all those empty spots where there were supposed to be words.

Is there a smart way to deal with this? One thing I consider is to focus on a single one at a time, to avoid choice paralysis. And maybe brainstorming three different paragraphs, and then selecting the best.

Vaporo

Inkling
My personal method is to just "brute force" any sections that I'm not sure about, then leave a comment to come back and look it over later. A lot of the time it turns out functional enough and I'll just end up leaving it as is.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
For me I write a scene in phases. First I dialogue it, outlining the heart of the scene like a script - this is usually the fun part, and I often write out a few lines of the deeper POV while I'm at it. Then I write the "intro," like three paragraphs, and for some reason writing those paragraphs is like torture. Then I flush out the dialogue, which is easy enough since it's already planned out, and covers the bulk of the word count. Then I have the "bridge," which is this little section linking the intro to the dialogue; it's often very short but I usually end up running through six different ideas before landing on something.

I consider that four "sittings" for roughly a thousand words, although the goal is to do a sitting, then grab a water, move a little, check on facebook, then do another sitting. I usually dialogue multiple scenes in one day, often running through the chapter, and then work on those scenes roughly one at a time. And of course many scenes don't fit neatly into that pattern, and I try to just go with it.

Sometimes there's still gaps though. And for those I usually punch in a few placeholder lines, and then I edit it in future sittings until it looks right. But I should add, those "gaps" aren't usually obvious, and it's one of the things I'm specifically looking for in edits. "Wait, I wrote this scene, and I just realized... what happened to the setting?" or "He's supposed to be really happy here and I need to get into that a little more." Often the parts that are missing are missing because they're hard, and an opportunity to deliver the moment, so I don't want them to slip by.

Toby Johnson

Minstrel
write anyway, youll be surprised, even if you think its terrible you ca still write and you never know, it could end up being good