• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anybody read the Taran Wanderer books when they were a kid?

Oh, I first actually saw it a couple of years ago after finally hunting it down online. But I do remember when it first came out. I must have been three or four years old and only saw promo pictures of it. Years later I was like: "Wait, wasn't there a Disney movie where this guy had a magical sword?" So I went looking for it.

I honestly have no idea why people don't like it. Or, rather, I don't get why people hate it more than, say, the Sword in the Stone. Or Peter Pan. Or Furry Robin Hood With Bluegrass Music.
wtfr.gif

Anyway, the Horned King remains one of my favourite Disney villains of all time. Dude was metal.

The reason people don't like it is because of how low quality it is. The animation is rubbish, the backgrounds are not drawn well, and the storyline is not overly cohesive or at all faithful to the books. The characters aren't sympathetic or interesting, in spite of being so in the books. I mean, the whole thing is a train wreck. I think it may be nostalgia that makes you think it is good, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I LOVED the Chronicles of Prydain growing up and borrowed them from the library tens of times. I even got the library to borrow the Foundling from another library so I could read it. When I watched the Black Cauldron, I was set for nostalgia and wonder, and was left with just disappointment. I'm not a purist, so I don't care that they made changes, but they made stupid changes. My fiancee watched it with me as well, and she had no experience with the books and she loathed it even more than I did.