• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Armor question

Steel Dragon

Dreamer
VJGetAc.png

Slight question about armor. Since I plan to use them, what are those things on his upper arms called? About the only reference I can find on the subject calls the piece of equipment a rerebrace. But I thought that was exclusively part of a suit of plate. These are kinda independent and strapped on, does the term still apply, or is there a better term for them?

Russ

Istar
I would call them "bracers", but I am not sure if there is a technical name.

edit- whoops wrong bits. I don't have a clue what to call those things on the upper arms.

Last edited:

Steel Dragon

Dreamer
It's a rerebrace. But the term you're looking for, I believe, is "overly elaborate form of suicide." Hopefully the squire bringing the rest of his armor was stuck in traffic when he modeled for that pic.

Armor basics post on my blog.

No, the term I'm looking for is rerebrace. I was just wondering if it perhaps had a different name. Thanks for the confirmation on the name.

Hi,

I thought the shoulder armour was the pauldron and the arm armour hanging from it was the vambrace.

Cheers, Greg.

Malik

Auror
Hi,

I thought the shoulder armour was the pauldron and the arm armour hanging from it was the vambrace.

Cheers, Greg.

The armor hanging from the pauldron or spauldron is called lames. (La-MAYS.)

Grand-pauldrons-2.jpg

A bicep guard on its own is pretty much a rerebrace.

Actually, rerebrace is close to what that character is wearing, but it's not quite right. The reason there's no historical name for what that guy is wearing is that no one in his right mind would ever have worn something like that to a fight. So, we're likely better off making up a name.

"Spurting, Pants-Crapping Death by Artistic License" would work.

Or "Stabby-Slashy-Weepy Bracers of Ow."

Queshire

Istar
Just understand that if you call it a rerebrace then you're going to have to explain what that is to the readers. Though it would not be accurate I feel that more readers would be familiar with "pauldron" and I feel that it would be close enough that I think it would achieve your purpose.