• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Art for Loyalty Fallen Book 2

dollyt8

Minstrel
Loyalty Fallen is a serialized fantasy novel that you can read for free at loyaltyfallen.com. The first volume is already published, and the second volume will be serialized there starting on November 5th. This thread will include all of the artworks I've created for the second volume, and to avoid spamming anyone, I'll also add future artworks for the novel to this same thread. I have one in progress and several more concepts in mind, so there will be plenty! Also at some point I want to create a separate thread for artworks related to my many other fantasy stories and characters.

At this point, I had started to be able to find a more consistent style. While there are some errors in these images and one in particular has some issues, I'm pretty proud of how most of them turned out.

1. Battling a Screlagor
battling_a_screlagor___loyalty_fallen_vol__2_promo_by_dollyt8_dhrrxhc-414w-2x.jpg

In this image, Ren, Kathryn's bodyguard, battles a Screlagor. A Screlagor is a massive dragon, native to Tephraya, the desert kingdom. Screlagors are nearly impossible to kill. They burrow underground with the help of their massive front clwas, and as they travel through the sand, they naturally pick up a lot of static electricity that can then be discharged through the “stinger” on their tails.

Screlagors are one of Tephraya’s best defenses against foreign invaders, despite their small number, as their appearance, fast speed, lightning attacks, and lunging charge make them formidable and terrifying opponents. Their hide is extremely tough and thick as well.

2. Don't Look at Me - Kathryn and Ren
don_t_look_at_me___loyalty_fallen_book_2_by_dollyt8_di00be5-414w-2x.jpg

This is the image I'm least happy about. The settings were off when I created it, and the resolution was too low, so I wasn't able to add as much detail in the faces as I would have liked. The windows in the background also look off. Still, it was suitably dramatic and emotional.

3. Kathryn of Tephraya
kathryn_of_tephraya_by_dollyt8_di19ptt-375w-2x.jpg

After being banished from her own country, Iridalys, Kathryn flees to the desert kingdom of Tephraya and finds herself facing new threats and a tyrannical king.

4. Chance - AKA best character
loyalty_fallen___chance_by_dollyt8_di1jdry-414w-2x.jpg

Chance is my favorite character in Loyalty Fallen and possibly my favorite that I've ever created. He's a proud agent of chaos and loves stirring up trouble. Still, he's surprisingly empathetic and can give some pretty good advice. He's also a spy, a former slave, and secretly a Navinorian sapphire mage.

5. Zafiyah
zafiyah_by_dollyt8_di8u7k0-pre.jpg

Zafiyah is Chance's love interest in the story. She is a Tephrayan noblewoman who is contending with a cruel mother who wants to marry her off to the first nobleman in sight. Zafiyah has a strong sense of humor and immense loyalty. She starts out with a crush on Ren before she unnexpectedly falls in love with Chance with her whole heart.

I'd love to hear thoughts, criticism, or which one is your favorite. For me personally, I love Battling a Screlagor and, of course, Chance. Is it unhealthy to have a crush on your own character?

These are so good! I've got to admit, "Don't Look At Me" is my favorite because of the strong emotion that it depicts!
I would say, that it's not unhealthy to have a crush on your own character, but I may be biased, since I, too, have had crushes on my own characters!
(Also, great job on Kathryn! She looks gorgeous!)

dollyt8

Minstrel
I mean, who could turn down purple eyes like that...Zafiyah.

Unhealthy? I dont know. But I'd not let that affect that bad things that might happen to them in the story.
I spent so much time on her eyes 😅 and I ended up really happy with how they turned out, so thanks!

Definitely; Chance doesn't get a pass. The poor fellow is going to go through plenty of stuff before the story is over.
These are so good! I've got to admit, "Don't Look At Me" is my favorite because of the strong emotion that it depicts!
I would say, that it's not unhealthy to have a crush on your own character, but I may be biased, since I, too, have had crushes on my own characters!
(Also, great job on Kathryn! She looks gorgeous!)
Glad you liked it! That's the first time Ren has cried since he was ten years old, so I wanted it to be extra emotional.

Bias or no bias, I'll gladly accept the conclusion. 😂

Thanks so much!