• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Author Websites

Foah

Troubadour
Hey all,

It's been a good while since I was last active here on MS. Preparations for finals and a new SO have taken the lion share of my spare time - nothing I regret, though I wish had more time to spend here and by the desk writing.

I was just curious on your relation to and knowledge of author websites. The vital parts to "always" include, their importance compared to normal social media, etc etc.

Myself, I've worked a bit on a website that I host at GoDaddy: [url]www.eriktireland.com[/URL]. The whole website has cost me around $15, that's with the domain name included, and I just thought I'd share it if there are others out there thinking of creating their own website anytime soon.

All the best,
Erik

TWErvin2

Auror
Erik,
You have the basics/skeletal structure, ready for content.
Is the pic on the main page of you and lady friend/wife? If not, maybe a similar pic of you in whatever setting you think would be good. Maybe of the wooded areas mentioned.

Terry

Foah

Troubadour
Erik,
You have the basics/skeletal structure, ready for content.
Is the pic on the main page of you and lady friend/wife? If not, maybe a similar pic of you in whatever setting you think would be good. Maybe of the wooded areas mentioned.

Terry

It is, and it's a picture I like enough to have it dethrone other perhaps more suitable ones from the front page :) Glad you liked the skeleton that the website is right now! Save the actual prose content, was there anything big you felt was missing that you'd expect from an author website?

Hi Erik,

It looks clean and simple which is good. I'd get rid of either the comma or the "and" in your descriptor line about yourself, and your photo doesn't do it for me.

Cheers, Greg.

Ayaka Di'rutia

Troubadour
I suggest putting more about yourself as a person on your About page, along with your achievements; that way readers will get to know more about you. IMO, on the About Me page, I would actually move the links for Published works, Reviews/Features and Photography/Media to completely new pages.

Something I've done on my personal website home page is highlight and link certain pages, such as About me, my published works, and my blog; visitors can jump straight to those pages as well as navigate the rest of the site as they wish.

SD Stevens

Scribe
Hi guys,

I was looking for info on author pages and found this post. The advice is great.

But could I also ask, is it worth the effort to do a website or just stick to a Facebook page or such?

Sorry if Iv hijacked the post.

Graylorne

Archmage
I'd say, for an author a website is a must. It is the first thing people should go to for info about you, your works and your plans. It should be business-like, concentrated on your books, but a chatty page about family, the countryside and whatever would add a nice touch.

SD Stevens

Scribe
Thanks I was considering it. I need to get away from facebook and stupid Twitter!! I went to see a good friend of mine who is going to help me set one up on a raspberry pie