• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Autosuggestion

Phietadix

Auror
So I have somewhat my accident (by definition not by accident anymore) been making use of the techniques of autosuggestion. I don't really fully trust myself to try to dream with it yet, but I figured it would be of interest to the people in this subforum

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Looking this up, it seems along the lines of Affirmations and repeated use of positive thoughts to bring about a change of behavior.

I am sure this works for many. Maybe it is a way to reprogram oneself, but personally, I have never found this to be an effective tool with me ;) Seems my bad habits are too ingrained.

Phietadix

Auror
Looking this up, it seems along the lines of Affirmations and repeated use of positive thoughts to bring about a change of behavior.

I am sure this works for many. Maybe it is a way to reprogram oneself, but personally, I have never found this to be an effective tool with me ;) Seems my bad habits are too ingrained.

I'd say that is an accurate description of the more mild (perhaps healthier) side of this concept. The deeper end seems to be much closer to the concept of hypnotism.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
If I may, why beat around the bush, what techniques have you been using, and what do you think about them?

Phietadix

Auror
Honestly, I'm just waiting to hear Sheliawhisz's thoughts, because she has a lot more experience with this than me. I'm not going to bother to rush her though

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, I see Sheila on fairly often so maybe she will....but, if you are going to start a thread of Autosuggestion, why post it in such a way that it requires another to present to topic? I'd like to know what it meant to you and how? Since you have the first hand experience. Maybe there is something of value to be learned. If it is something that can be helpful to others, your experience would be useful to know.

Phietadix

Auror
Well, I see Sheila on fairly often so maybe she will....but, if you are going to start a thread of Autosuggestion, why post it in such a way that it requires another to present to topic? I'd like to know what it meant to you and how? Since you have the first hand experience. Maybe there is something of value to be learned. If it is something that can be helpful to others, your experience would be useful to know.

One of the things I seem to have autosuggested to myself is a trust of the Socratic Method

Phietadix

Auror
So having had some more time, and some more actual unconscious sleep. I'm going to go ahead and add some more to this thread. What I'm currently thinking as to what was going on here was a blend of different factors, the most notable probably being some form of sleep deprivation, the changeover to summer, and some cramming (like academic cramming before a test, minus the actual academia part).

For about a week I was doing more . . . I'm calling it Hypontic sleep, while working on preparing for a couple different urgent tasks, Basically just trying to rest the conscious mind with preconscious rest as opposed to unconscious sleep. During this time using what I think would be best described as Autosuggestion or Self Hyponosis to make sure I didn't starve or die or what have you.

Some of those mental adjustments are still going, and I feel like I have more .. I guess control than usual over my preconscious, but I'm not sure how actually useful any of this is unless you're like me or Ban and just constantly overextending yourself physically and mentally