• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ban the eco-firendly dutchman

Riva

Minstrel
I'm posting this because it concerns our beloved member Ban the cheeseman. I didn't expect my brain to throw this at me but here I am, telling the story.

So I was chilling out on Mythic Scribes, another one of those days; strolling around the site I end up on the chat, as usual.
Chatting with other users I realize that something eerie is going on: Ban isn't showing up. Since this is quite an unusual occurrence I ask other users about him, they reply that he is no longer active on the site and they point me to a youtube channel.
Before me there is a page which shows some lines of videos (about 20-ish if I were to throw a guess): the most recent video is titled something along the lines of: "Internet connection from Biocomputer". I go to the bottom with the intention of watching them all from the start. The first two videos are more than 2 hours long each and are titled something like: "The Problem with... (not sure about the second part: society? the world?)".
I watch them: the first one in bed and the second one in the bath. The videos feature a young man, he is tall and his blond hair reaches his shoulder, some slight accents of beard run across his jaw . He is dressed in a lumberjack plaid shirt and is standing by a mill, a small stream is rushing nearby. The man, Ban, explains his motivations to quit internet and Mythic Scribes as if he was some big youtuber quitting youtube. The reasons for his quitting were something about society being too oppressive and invading personal space and something about technology.
I don't remember watching the other videos but from the thumbnails and titles he seemed to have documented his agricultural achievements. It was reminiscent of Primitive Technology or similar channels. The videos went from something like "Discovering the Carrot" or "Inventing the PUMPKIN" to "Alternative sources of energy...", "Bioreactor" ecc...

The next part is already not so clear, I believe that I traveled to the Netherlands to search for him. Anyways, I find myself in a big, green, open field: in front of me there is a small shack made of dark wood, from the slight gap between the doors of the entrance only plants are visible. Ban is there to meet me: we exchange a few words then he shows me around for a bit. I believe that at that point I wanted to start a life like his, a hermit whose sole company is that of plants and vegetables, so I was about to ask him how to start out but the dream dragged me in another direction (one that is not pertinent with this thread).
Lastly he shows me his plant-computer. He says that he is about to develop the ability to connect to the internet from there. I ask myself what's the point of quitting internet just to develop another internet connection system.
But these are trifles, the important thing is that... he bacc.

Also don't ask me how he uploaded videos of himself growing plants without an internet connection, probably in the same way that Primitive Technology guy records his videos with what he finds in the jungle.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Didn't expect to be showing up in other people's dreams as what appears to be a green anarchist on a journey into a Biopunk future of his own making, but I'm not entirely surprised. Given this is still me, I'm about 100% sure half of those plants are barley.

Well then, feel free to use my likeness, he sounds awesome.

Ban doesn't have slight hints of beard on his jaw, he has a van dyke.
Van Dyke:
van-dyke-beard-1.jpg