• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Bard magic with muscle memory and fixing my dream making powers

Most of my world's magic functions with assosiating an aspect of one's power with a movement. This is mostly complicated hand gestures that have been learned by my charecters through instruments. But there is one little problem I have someone with dream making powers in my main cast and I don't really know how I should apply it in that case

Queshire

Istar
Hm, you could have it that the character only needs to move their fingers around when actively changing things in the dreamscape and otherwise it just goes along like normal.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
The answer that pops to my mind, is the power does not really require the motion, it is only believed that it does. The Dream sequence powers are a reflection that the power would work regardless if one knew it could be used without the gestures. In story from, I might even explode that out into the big lie that everyone believes that is not true, and some climatic point of the story turns on it.

it actually would not be an issue - dream sleep is the phase of sleep where many people move and talk in their sleep, so your dream weaver would need to have lucid dreams, but beyond that nothing that is not compatible with regular dreaming / sleep physiology... apart from the magic of course.

The answer that pops to my mind, is the power does not really require the motion, it is only believed that it does. The Dream sequence powers are a reflection that the power would work regardless if one knew it could be used without the gestures. In story from, I might even explode that out into the big lie that everyone believes that is not true, and some climatic point of the story turns on it.
It's more like the more skillled you are the less you need them. Since one's brain could do magic at a certain point without associating it with a movement