• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Book Recipes

Mad Swede

Auror
If by that you mean do I describe food which the reader could cook themselves, then yes. I base the food my characters eat on the sorts of traditional foods and dishes you find in Europe. That isn't as restrictive as you might imagine, because there's quite a lot you can do with fish, meat, herbs, vegetables and grains. I'äm lucky in that my grandmother had many of her mother's cookery books, so I know how you prepare a lot of these things over an open fire or in the the hot ashes from a fire. I tend to use food and rinkm as a way of using the senses to add depth to a story, so I need to know how things taste and how to describe flavours.

I once put an informal recipe for sweetened milktoast in a story. In fact, the story was all about gathering the ingredients. In terms of plot it was very pedestrian, just so happened to have a fantasy setting. I remember the milktoast being used to kill the servant girl's master at the end, but I don't remember if it was through strangulation, poison, or straight up killing him after he had his last meal.

ShadeZ

Maester
I have a race that are largely carnivorous so they have a few unusual recipes and drinks such as Bjornin Draught or bear's drink a warm cream and honey milk (Kind of like a honey flavored hot chocolate).

I have a race that are largely carnivorous so they have a few unusual recipes and drinks such as Bjornin Draught or bear's drink a warm cream and honey milk (Kind of like a honey flavored hot chocolate).
Is it actually a tropical climate such there is chocolate grown? Or do you mean "sweet warm beverage"?

ShadeZ

Maester
Is it actually a tropical climate such there is chocolate grown? Or do you mean "sweet warm beverage"?
it contains no chocolate just milk, honey, and cream. It is used in a cold frozen tundra using mammoth milk and sweet stinger (giant bee monster) honey, since dragon slayers hunt monsters excessively they tend to eat monster meat and things you can get from monsters.