• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Calling All Shipbuilders and Naval Engineers!

_Michael_

Troubadour
No, really--I need your maritime expertise!

I have a project ship that never actually existed during the classic Age of Sail, but could still be feasible with the technology at the time. Basically, as you can see from the attached artwork, I am looking to make a trimaran-like ship using a modified brigantine or schooner with two main masts. I am leaning towards a brigantine since they were a bit more robust than schooners and made for war. I call it an Akula attack ship, which I understand to be "shark" in Croatian. I get there are catamarans and trimarans in modern sailing thanks to fiberglass and steel, but I would love to make a frigate size one like a modified brigantine.

There would be two outrigger hulls, and those might feasibly have a single deck in them for crew or supplies and stowage like extra sails and rope, or even to place cannons in, aimed out the sides through little windows. They would be connected by reinforced framing and a deck attached to the sides of the brigantine, and their framing members would likely be attached to the internal frame of the ship to add rigidity and strength. Given that the outrigger hulls are smaller than the central hull, they would likely extend a bit farther below the waterline and have a bit more ballast to ensure stability and reduce roll. They'd likely also have fins along the keel to further help with roll, if needed (I'm a bit hazy on this point as I know it wasn't common during the Age of Sail, but I thought they were experimenting with fins?). They could possibly be made of a lightweight metal to add both ballast and stability in one stroke while leaving the internal area of the outrigger hulls with more space since the fins would act as the missing ballast.

The lower quarter decks of the outriggers would have gunwales and framing members above the deck left exposed with a eyelet through them reinforced with a metal ring and numbered starting at both the fore and aft with 1, and proceeding until they reach the middle. There would be gunwales around the main deck of the center hull, with broad step downs and sideward-facing cargo hatches built into the sides of the center hull (to replace those typically found in the fore and aft cabins, which could now be accessed from the sides).

Atop the main deck along the sides near the edge on either side of each mast would be a track and locking system capstan, with a hemp rope guy line attached to the first yardarm's sides. The capstan has another hemp rope terminating in a hook that crewmen will unwind and attach to one of the framing members with the holes in them along the sides or aft and prow of the outrigger hulls. When attached, they will then unfurl a lateen sail, whose angle can be raked by adjusting the positions of the capstan and the hooks to the outrigger. When out on the open ocean, these lateen quarter deck sails (I'm not really sure what they'd be called) could be deployed to add a lot of extra sail capacity when downwind and not tacking, sort of a sail equivalent of a turbo charger. lol Each mast would have two of these sails, one on each side, and they'd be kept furled vertically otherwise and locked into place with a rope tie off. The number system on the frame members allows the quartermaster or captain to call out the placement of the sails precisely to simplify orders.

Yes, I know the sails on the ship pictured aren't the typical square masts found on a brigantine, which is actually what I'd like--this was the best I could get the AI to produce after two hours of wrestling with it.

Not sure how feasible this is, but I figured I'd ask some experts. For a fantasy ship, it will do just fine. However, I love realism, and would love to be able to make this work in some fashion as I have a kingdom that is nautical based and known for their cutting edge ship designs and technology, so this "Akula" attack ship would be a perfect fit...hopefully.

I'm open to ideas on how to modify it or any thing else I need to know or figure a way around. Appreciate any responses!

temp-Image-DYec-DB.avif

Rexenm

Inkling
This is why I know I’m not a writer yet, and more something like a wizard, because I can’t do that. I used to like a ship called a Barque, I thought that was pretty neat. Gee, with all this expertise, you could captain a ship - even build one. Do you get all your resources from practical experience, or are you like me with mostly computer games and wikis?

_Michael_

Troubadour
Lol Oh, it's getting more innovative by the day. I appreciate the responses--I'm still feeling my way around wikipedia and querying an AI for information about the sails.

So far, what I have is the above description, with some additional innovations. Attached to top yardarm of each main sail on the mizzen and forward masts would be a vertical guy line run down to a moving capstan on a track and lock system directly below. There is a staysail furled vertically around that and tied off when not in use. However, under full sail in open water, these staysails could be deployed for additional sail coverage. A second guy line with a hook at the end would be kept wound around the moving capstan on either side of each mast, and it would be run out across the lower decks to another moving capstan on a track and lock system at the outer edge of the outriggers. The line is hooked into the outer capstan, the staysail unfurled, reefed to adjust speed, and then the moving capstans could be adjusted to set rake and angle to effect a bit more maneuverability and speed.

Moreover, the eyelets would remain in the framing members along the outer edge of the outriggers to be used in case a moving capstan became stuck so that the sails could still be adjusted and deployed while the capstan is fixed. Along the track of the moving capstans would be numbers to denote angles to make it easier for the captain or quartermaster to call out. These staysails would basically be to offer greater maneuverability and speed.

Not only that, there would be a triple rudder system--the wheel on the raised quarter deck (in a covered wheel "house") located midship would be tied to the rudders with a differential gear and hemp hawser and pulley system. The differential gears would be located at the rudders themselves. In addition to the rudder on the aft of the main center hull, there would be a rudder at the aft of each outrigger, connected via hawser and pulley. This would allow greater maneuverability and easier control over the wheel, especially in rough seas.

Lastly, there are capstans at the fore and aft of the center hull that have guy lines that run up to a metal sleeve around the middle of the mizzen and foremasts. These keep tension on the masts when it's flexiing due to high winds to reinforce the mast itself and keep it flexing too much.

I need to put together a floor plan for this--anyone have any sources for naval ship floorplans I can just trace and expand?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Ooof! I have excellent books on Age of Sail and before, but I would have to be their author to help you out, LMAO. Even people I know who are into sailing... Ooof! Again.

Floorplans... I could take a look at some books later, but I'm not near them right now.

_Michael_

Troubadour
I'd really appreciate any you can snap a photo of and send my way. I'm going to use them in CorelDraw to trace the outline and get better sense of the shape and layout.

Lol yeah, I came up with a head-scratcher. To keep the ship from heeling due to the outrigger hulls being smaller, fins had to be added, but they had to be made of a lightweight metal to act as both stabilizers and ballast. Yet, I'm trying to stay within historical bounds, while stretching them slightly by adding technology that was around at the time, but not actually employed the way I am using it.

I can't wait to lay out the deck plans in CorelDraw!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Most ship plans I know of are vertical cutaways. The (disturbing thing is just how much of the hull - usually two full decks - was *below* the waterline.

The largest Polynesian double/triple-hulled sailing canoes usually had the sides built up enough for a single lower deck, with a sort of tent/hut above that. (Anyhow, it is the model I went with in my stories.)

_Michael_

Troubadour
Makes sense for your setting. That's not a bad set-up, anyway. I love designing RPG maps that are really detailed, and I've never done a sailing ship before so it will be interesting to see how I can put together this frankenstein.

I figured out a couple of things, though. The metal eyelets would all have to be bronze, as would the double block and tackle used for the hawser lines controlling the rudders. Snatch block, even though that's a bit advance, but that would allow for 90 degree angles. I was also thinking a small differential gear at the wheel and at the rudders to increase the control. I was also thinking of having the mainsail yard tied to a pair of capstans at the base of the mast to speed raising and lowering, also with a differential gear.

As for inner decks, I was thinking one deck only in the outriggers and two in the main hull. The outriggers could be fitted for cannons or ballistae.