• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you include folktales, song verse or similar in your stories?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Might have been mine. It's happened to me.

"Demon" = "DIMENsional traveler. It's a portal fantasy, and the area of the world where the MC (from Earth) ends up is called "Gateskeep" because it's a nexus in the space-time continuum--their sorcerers are literally the Keepers of the Gates.

I'm sure it was you, but only since you mention it. *head scratch* I didn't have any issues with the use of demon in Dragon Trail though.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Do you include folktales, song verse, fables, myths, legends or any other similar facet of these within your own stories? What are they (if you would like to share) and how do they add to the narrative? Do you any of you also include footnotes as part of the narrative?

Oh, Heck yes, I do.

Well...not songs....

My story is full of back story, that may or may not be true. Sometimes, even I have not really decided.

These appear in the story, sometimes as flash back scenes showing the narrative, or in comments and conversations the characters have with each other. Maybe in other ways, I am not recalling.

I have many cultures and many have stories. They are all partially linked, but differ in some ways.

The story is plenty big, so I dont really spend a lot of effort on things that dont matter to the tale. Most of the myths and legends have some truth to them. I just dont have to energy to make up stuff that is meant to be untrue.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I included footnotes in the thread purely because of Susanna Clarke and her stupendously clever way of adding them into the narrative for Norrell and Strange, where the footnotes are at times a few pages long and are short stories in themselves. I considered doing something like that but it would just be me copying her style.

I did not use footnotes, and I think it would be somewhat odd to include them. I suppose I could if the narrative style was different.

I had thought of including and appendix or such to the end for some world notes, but maybe in another edition.

In fact, one of the benefits of not being in college anymore is I dont have to do footnotes ever again ;)

No songs or verse, for I am very bad at them.

As for folklore, mythology and the like? Yes. Though mostly more of my low fantasy and even the sci-fi stuff. Sometimes they play parts or are there to add a bit of background.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Um... yes. But I don't write them. I can't rhyme my way out of a paper sack. No idea why, I'm just poetry defective somehow. So, I come here and beg, and you guys always give me the best songs and rhymes that I could ever ask for. Last book it was the songs sung by dwarven pub hawkers. So good!