• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Draining

Rexenm

Maester
How do you promote work-able tourism in a population? There can be public houses, or hospitals - but where do these people go to, or end up?

I have a war in my WIP, and the cultural angle of mining and industry sends an entourage to another place, and they need a workable discussion about the clime. I just want to know, how a peaceful and rustic society can be attractive, and a workable history.

Do you have more obvious or blanket statements, or some proof that will steal my readers away from the night?

I also want to know, what is population draining, and thus weaker in migration, immigration or tourism.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
My guess is, first there is a reason to go, and then businesses follow.

If there was a holy relic, for instance, and people started to make a pilgrimage, some would venture forth to make an inn and places for them to stop. In a short while, the amenities would be there. Without them, they are sleeping on the road, and in places where others have been kind enough to let them.

Your post is confusing. Are they tourists? or people moving because of the war?

Rustic society can be attractive because working on a farm may seem better than working in a mine. If someone is offering free land....

Rexenm

Maester
My guess is, first there is a reason to go, and then businesses follow.
That is what i think. People are basically refugees. They look for work, and/or a ruler.
If there was a holy relic, for instance, and people started to make a pilgrimage, some would venture forth to make an inn and places for them to stop. In a short while, the amenities would be there. Without them, they are sleeping on the road, and in places where others have been kind enough to let them.
Holy relics are generally immovable or statutory. So there would be diaspora?
Rustic society can be attractive because working on a farm may seem better than working in a mine. If someone is offering free land....
I wonder why it is called Arcadia.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Holy relics are very much movable. In fact, it's more unusual to find immovable ones.

As for a peaceful society that is interesting, look no further than the Shire, but there are many, many other examples. When you have a peaceful society, you can create conflict by introducing only very small ripples.

Mireille

Scribe
Noteworthy architecture or novelties like theaters and music halls or things like sports competitions, things that only a sizeable city would have the info structure to support. Another option would be a natural phenomenon like hot springs with healing properties that have had a town grow up around it.

Rexenm

Maester
Holy relics are very much movable. In fact, it's more unusual to find immovable ones.
But what do holy relics mean? It is mostly people power, so that has been mostly intangible, but it seems you can pour it down the sink.

hot springs with healing properties
I know that exists in the fantasy world, so it also exists in ours, but our system is built around things like that, so what is fantasy about it?

Mireille

Scribe
I don’t think I understand your question.

A lot of stories have mystic and magical sources of water that attract pilgrims and tourist creating associated support structures. Seeking them out can be part of a charter’s growth for both good or evil. The fantasy aspect is what the waters can do and if they really work or not. Then there is the relational side, i.e. who controls access ect...

Rexenm

Maester
Say, if there were a story, where a-hot-springs-fountain-of-youth-thing, was the journey’s beginning, would you want to read it, or read about it? It seems to me, that it would not be a place you were born, nor a place to meet your ball-and-chain, but it might make a good ending, or have an easy conclusion to come to. However, it is a good courting.

Say, if there were a story, where a-hot-springs-fountain-of-youth-thing, was the journey’s beginning, would you want to read it, or read about it? It seems to me, that it would not be a place you were born, nor a place to meet your ball-and-chain, but it might make a good ending, or have an easy conclusion to come to. However, it is a good courting.
That would be fine, depending on where the story goes. Either "everything sucks but if I can only find the hot springs" like the Green Valley in land before time, or "everything sucks but the hot springs so I'm staying right here... oh no, I'm dragged into the real world by unexpected circumstance!" Like The Hobbit

Rexenm

Maester
I bring up this point, because I noticed a literal trend for the figurative in one of my WIPs. There was a dog, who could have a cat ride it, and they crossed large terrain to get to a statue.

this statue was of the old world, so it was a religious statue. The humans were being reared next to it, so it was all big news and hush-hush for the mutated pets.

the story ends, when there was a kind of hallucination, and the pets turned into humans.

I bring up this point, because I noticed a literal trend for the figurative in one of my WIPs. There was a dog, who could have a cat ride it, and they crossed large terrain to get to a statue.

this statue was of the old world, so it was a religious statue. The humans were being reared next to it, so it was all big news and hush-hush for the mutated pets.

the story ends, when there was a kind of hallucination, and the pets turned into humans.
Kafka meets the Bremen Town Musicians, I like it

Rexenm

Maester
In this magical and figurative new population, maybe if there is connection between two rival elements. Animals could be in a zoo - with prejudiced news about articles. There could be lobbyists at sports centres - riots after marches. Something young that would swim or as the bird flies. It needn’t be epic like a gem mine; just something cultural or agreeable.