• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Effects from fantastical factors on human society

Gurkhal

Auror
So I've got a question or perhaps more asking for some additional perspectives on a setting I've been tinkering with as of late.

The setting is intended to be a West European, high medieval, feudal society inhabited by humans, mostly. But with two factors added to this.

The first is that there's an overlord/great king/liege/whatever called the Vulture King who rules over most of it according to a feudal hierarchy. There are many parts that resist him but a majority bows down. The thing that separates him from other kings and lords is that he is eternally young and not a human but a hybrid between a vulture and a humanoid.

The second is the demand for a Carrion Tax from the human communities where the Vulture King and his Vulture Knights demands alot of humans to be eaten by them in gluttenous frenzies of raw and rotting flesh, of which they like human flesh the best. If it was only the Vulture King and his knights where in the dozens then the burden would probably not be all too heavy to carry but there are thousands of Vulture Knights spread across the settings in various strongholds and all of them demand a Carrion Tax for their gluttenous appities. Making this a factor for much of the world.

So the point of this thread is me asking for opinions and suggestions from other perspectives than my own on how human socities would be adapting and changing or resisting under the influence of these two factors?

If you want or need more details then just ask and I'll try to provide answers.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
My attitude towards this is that there is a war we should be having against the vulture king and there is no point putting it off.

But....one way I might handle this is with war against another undesirable nation, that creates a lot of tribute.