• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Esoteric Battleships

Rexenm

Inkling
I am planning a book, where battleships the game turns out to be real. The board is 10/10, and the players theorise about the game on medication.

I’m wondering what esoteric mixture will make this real. If the board is a certain colour, or the pieces are Chinese.

Do you see what it should be? Any incorrigible is appropriate, you don’t need to overthink it.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
The game pieces are fantastically detailed. With a magnifying lens the players can even see crewmen running about. When the big guns fire, the projectiles can pierce flesh and scorch the fingertips.

Rexenm

Inkling
So you see the game as a Birds Eye view, with a god of sorts, in the air. This is interesting. I didn’t envisage it that way.

Rexenm

Inkling
I did think of them playing doof-doof, and spinning out, but war is pretty serious.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Put them in an archipelago, with many islands ships can hide behind and not be seen, and have their radar screen look like 10x10 grids. They can chase each other around, and the 10x10 grid will always be there, but not really upfront so it looks like a game. Maybe even make it a war game exercise the went bad.

And make it bad to be hit. Ships rarely take a hit and dont get barraged with a bunch more till they are sunk. Escape should be harrowing and very difficult, once spotted.

Last edited:
The game pieces are fantastically detailed. With a magnifying lens the players can even see crewmen running about. When the big guns fire, the projectiles can pierce flesh and scorch the fingertips.
I like this idea, it gives me Hunter S Thompson vibes.

Queshire

Istar
Well, I imagine you won't be able to call it battleship in the story if you want to be able to get any money out of it.

Don't worry about the trademark I'd say.

Battleship is a normal English word. You're fine using those. The only exception is (since, yes, Battleship is trademarked) that you can't use it for games, which is what it's trademarked for. So as long as you stay far enough away from it being a game you're fine.

Disclaimer, I'm not a legal professional, just a guy with a search engine.