• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Golems: Are they "alive"?

Part of my research into the story involved looking at Real Dolls and the people who have relationships with them. It's not just lonely men playing dress up with a 4000 dollar mannequin either. Some women, and couples have "babies" that they dote on, and change, etc... If these people see something completely inanimate as a real being, then a Golem built as a companion( or pet, or Teddy Ruxpin like toy) is going to be even more alive to them. To society at large they may still be things but to a minority they would be people. I know how the MC, and others feel about it, just feel like I'm missing some key thing.

Lace

Troubadour
As I was reading this my husband was re-playing Dragon Age and he had just got to a part where he wakes a Golem and for whatever reason this one has free will and does not have to follow the one who woke it. You can then convince it to join your party or you can leave it to slaughter birds. (Apparently it really hates birds because they always sat and pooped on it while it was sedentary) Anyway this one is very much alive and very very sassy.

Queshire

Istar
@Psychotick: At what point would you lay down your life for a bag of oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus, and a handful of other elements?

evanator66

Minstrel
They seem to me like they are alive. They seem more alive to me then droids. I'd say that could be some sort of background issue.