• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Good day to you sirs/madams! :)

Mark Stanley

Acolyte
Hello all and to all hello! My name is Mark (as you have probably already gathered) and I'm from Ireland. You know that little island with the leprechauns? Never got the whole thing about them really. Tolkien gave England the hobbits, Germany has it's gnomes, Sweden has it's trolls, Greece has minotaurs and Norway has it's dragons and what do we get? Rich, red, stingy midgets. I swear the fairy tales had a fetish for midgets like Bethesda has a prisoner fetish (to those of you who have ever played an elder scrolls game). Like we have a museum over here of them, not that I've ever gone but everyone who has that I know has said it was embarrassing. Thinking of it now, our president even looks like one. Our tales are even hilarious by other country's standards for example; England has Arthur and Beowulf, what does Ireland have? Chú Chulann, a boy who once killed a dog with a ball. Great stuff.
This is partially why I always loved the myths of ancient Greece, seeing as ours were fairly laughable by comparison. The tale of the minotaur for example; Perseus battles against a giant, bull headed man-beast in a maze beneath the ground. Whereas in Ireland, Oisín got on a horse and lived in a fairy land with some strange woman where he never grew old, until he came back and like an idiot got off his horse as he was warned specifically NOT to, became old and died. Great. There are so many tales I loved from Greece, the Journey of Odysseus, Heracles and the tasks, the siege of Troy and the death of Achilles, the many wild horny adventures of Zeus and his jealous wife Athena. When you travel there you can actually lose yourself in the tales! The sun, the beautiful landscape, the roaring seas, the ruins and the many islands just makes your imagination soar. Our government built an office building over the first viking settlement in Dublin and threw a motorway through the Hill of Tara, a well known place in the tales and a great landmark (that was never given the chance to be fully excavated). Oh lord.
Anyway enough ranting on. I love the lord of the rings, the elder scrolls, game of thrones, loved the edge chronicles as a kid and I always make worlds to live in and explore. The war torn world of the Beast and Prey, the mysterious and creature ridden land of Brú or the dark Ethereal Realm are a few to name. I hope to put up a few ideas or even short stories later on (once I figure out how to, I would appreciate if someone would tell me) from these lands and let others experience some of my random madness. Thank you, and to all a good night!
Mark

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Welcome here, Mark! I'm a huge fan of stories from the realm of the Fair Folk, and I've written a few of them myself. I look forward to seeing your work! Just post a few more times and the Showcase will open up like an oyster and let you add to its collection of pearls. XD

Mark Stanley

Acolyte
Oh great! Thank you very much for taking time out to read and reply :) I look forward to reading your stories, infact I think I'll have a look now!