• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Good Summaries

Lorna

Inkling
I'm trying to work out what makes a good summary. Below I've posted three of my favourites from published novelists and said why I like them. I was wondering what other people's responses are and how they differ.

What's your opinion of these summaries. Do they draw you in / put you off? Would you buy the books?

What do you think constitutes a good summary?

What are your favourite summaries and why?

1) Dragon Wing Margeret Weiss and Tracy Hickman (Book One of the Death Gate Cycle)

'Ages ago, sorcerers of unmatched power sundered a world into four realms- sky, stone, fire and water- then vanished. Over time, magicians learned to work spells only in their realms and forgot the others. Now only the few who have survived the Labyrinth and crossed the Death Gate know of the presence of all four realms- and even they have yet to unravel the mysteries of their severed world...
In Aranius, Realm of Sky, humans, elves and dwarves battle for control of precious water- traversing a world of air borne islands on currents of elven magic and the backs of mammoth dragons. But soon great magical forces will begin to rend the fabric of this delicate land. An assassin will be hired to kill a young prince- by the king himself. A dwarf will challenge the beliefs of his people- and lead them in rebellion. And a sinister wizard will enact his plan to rule Arianus- a plan that may be felt far beyond the Realm of Sky and into the Death Gate itself.'

I was drawn me in by the cosmic scope of the book. Four sundered worlds. Immediately I was asking 'what's the Labyrinth?' 'What's the Death's Gate?' 'What are the mysteries of this severed world?'
I thought the second part was weaker. 'Humans, elves and dwarves' (again). However my attention was called back by the sinister wizard and his connection to the Death Gate.

2) Homeland R.A.Salvatore (Book One of the Dark Elf Trilogy)

'Travel back to strange and exotic Menzoberranzan, the vast city of the drow and homeland to Icewind Dale hero Drizzt Do'Urden.
The young prince of a royal house, Drizzt grows to maturity in the vile world of his dark kin. Possessing honor beyond the scope of his unprincipled society, young Drizzt faces an inevitable dilemna. Can he live in a world that rejects integrity?'

Short and clear. Perfect encapsulation of the drow society in a few well used words 'strange and exotic' 'vile' 'unprincipled.' And a succint depiction of Drizzt' dilemna. This is one of the best summaries I've read. The last sentence was definitely a hook that grabbed me.

3) The King of Elfland's Daughter Lord Dunsany

'THE FIELDS WE KNOW...
It was a time when each man's world was limited to what he could reach on foot or on horseback. Most men were content to stay within the fields we know, listening to the tales of the restless ones who travelled and brought back visions of strange places and stranger times. All was possible and true for none but the travellers had seen with their own eyes- eyes that were always filled with the dazzle of stars and wonder.
So all men knew of Elfland- indeed, many had seen its misty beginnings that bordered on the fields we know- never getting too close of course, for all also knew the special powers of elves. Nevertheless, the good burghers of the peaceful Vale of Erl were eager to benefit from this special magic; consequently they were happy indeed when Alveric, Prince of Erl, ventured off through the mists and brought back with him Lirazel, the shining daughter of the King of Elfland.
This was an auspicious beginning. But Lirazel was elf, not mortal. There was no malice in her but neither was she suited to the limited ways of man. No elf could ever be content . And certainly not in the fields we know...'

This is so beautiful, and hints at the style of the rest of the text.
The main point was the contrast between 'the fields we know' and 'elfland' - our insular human lives and the imaginative world of fantasy. I think that's why it has a really strong pull.
The hint at Lirazel's discontent also sows the suggestion of where the tension will lie.

So what do I think makes a good summary of a fantasy novel?

1) It needs to give a clear depiction of a) The main characters, their role and situation
b) The world, it's structure and the conflicts within
2) It should show the 'core' of the book, the axis about which the plot is going to turn.
(eg. using the above 1) The Death Gate 2) Drizzt' struggle to be honorable in a world without integrity 3) 'The Fields We Know' / Elfland)
3) Give an idea of the style and voice of the narrator

Butterfly

Auror
I agree with your points of good summaries, except the last one. I am led to believe that in traditionally published books, the author is not the one who writes the blurb but someone else practiced at summarising books. It's a part of the marketing of it, and also because authors are usually too close to their work to be able to pull off the blurb effectively. On the other hand, I've also heard it can be beneficial to have one written out (by the author) before it reaches the cover stage.

I think the first two examples draw me in more, possibly down to them being written in present tense rather than past tense as in the third example. The second does switch tenses though.

Generally though, I wouldn't really buy a book based completely on the summary itself, but on several other factors, including a peek inside it.