• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello Everyone, New Here, with New Project Wanting Insight!

Hello everyone!

My name is Rich The Fifth, or just Rich...

I am new to this community... spent the last hour or so talking to a member and discussing my new project.

I used to write all the time, and used to be in various communities like this one. I am inspired and have this whole new world I am building. I have the characters in mind, character story board, story archs, the plot, the climax and vaguely the ending...

I am having a bit of trouble beginning this thing and defining the specifics on the rules of this alternate universe.

Mostly this universe will have no rules because it is so open. It will have to be considered fanfic because I will literally use various characters from movies and tv shows and books, and even real life people.... I know this concept is far from new, but I think it is my approach that makes this fresh and the story will be a lot of fun!

I plan to make this into an online series I will continue to go maybe even forever.... I don't want to air out my story to everyone on here because I am dead serious in this one and I know chapter one will be out just soon enough..... I am looking for dedicated people who, like myself are collaborative type artists.... some people just work well sharing a vision and getting an outside view on it. Granted I am quite picky about which views I accept into my art... but once I find someone with vision I can appreciate I love working with others.

I am not necessarily looking for a co-author but I have done that before so its possible if I like you enough but really I am just looking for someone who plans to be a fan, and will help me critique it, and give input, and maybe even write their own chapters of the story or a side story that would be within my universe. I am quite open just dont want to waste my time re explaining this story to many people over...

so if you think you are interested... you like philosophy, psychology, astral travel, existentialism, surrealism, comedy, fantasy, epic tales, and think you would have good insight on such a universe well then hit me up!!!

I look forward to getting to know you guys and discussing writing here, from here on out!!! I am here guys, and I plan to stick around!

by the way I thought I would add.... just because they are familiar characters this is an alternate universe... so their backstories are no longer the same as whatever they came from... really they are still pretty original, besides a couple cameos which will be more for just fun or comedic timing...

This is an entirely original story with no characters actually coming from other stories... more like people who look like characters from certain things... the characters who actually will play real roles in this though will go through their own archs and never rely on their original source for anything except maybe what they look like...

I can explain this all better more personally when I explain how and what this universe is but I just dont want to share it with everyone... so please dont disregard this as some basic fanfic with characters I was too lazy to write my own... they will still be characters written by me with names and looks from previous sources, and they are just thrown into this world because our protagonist learns how to bring people into the world but really they are just build by representations that they play in his mind. So they aren't the actual characters themselves rather figments of his imagination so to speak that came from movies or tv he liked and brought into this universe where they become real people with real emotions etc, but not confined to their previous sources as to how they are.

Queshire

Istar
Right.... First off, we're all writers here, I don't think you have to really worry about people stealing your ideas or what not. If you want help with your series, you're going to have to give us more information. If you're characters are going to be that different from the source material then I think you should go all the way and make them seperate characters, make them expys or parodys of the established characters, but still seperate them.

Before looking for collaberative partners or what not, I think you should see if it'll be popular enough that you'll need them. I'd also suggest taking a look at other online collaberative settings such as the Whateley Universe and other such shared universe.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I'd suggest posting a small excerpt to exemplify your writing style in the context of this work so that people will understand the tone of what you are trying to do. It sounds like it could be really fun, but with no details we are all left wondering how it will read....

Good luck, I have gotten some really good critiques from the people here, and made some good friends.

Okay well....
Making completely fresh characters wouldn't entirely work because of what this story entails....

Alright let me go ahead an explain some more...

This is an existential tale. This is a semi-autobiographical tale. I have tried writing a biography many times for I have PLENTY of material to work with and I think my story alone would succeed. The problem is.... I get bored writing non-fiction so I never get too far. With this format I can tell my story while also mixed into this alternate universe and with a fictitious plot. Which I think will make this far more fun for the reader, myself and everyone involved.

The reason these characters come in to play? Well as I said this tale is existential. There will be four versions of myself from various points in my life. All co-existing in this universe. One of the versions of myself(Rich), started all of this by meditating and practicing astral travel in the future(or this present while the younger I, J.C., is the main protagonist. and we will be in his time predominately) Rich learns he has come back in time, but at the same time this is not the past he knew. He has created some alternate universe. In doing so his powers as weak at first and out of control. He, by accident at first, pulls characters from movies he is watching or books he is reading into this universe. Then he teaches the youngest me, J.C. how to harness this power. So characters come flying out like crazy and rules can be bent because they are learning to control their reality and reality tunnels. Quantum Mechanics, kind of stuff. The other two versions of myself, one being Vertigo(one of my aliases when I was younger) Is the next stage behind J.C. he is not so young and innocent as J.C. he is becoming a skeptic. Questioning his faith and so on, while the next stage, Oblique, or Obi(another alias I went by for many years) is the pure cynic. Completely lost all faith in religion and mankind. At first Vertigo and Oblique will be friends with J.C. while eventually venturing off creating new characters and building this new world for themselves. They will end up taking the roles of antagonists. Trying to destroy this world by invoking evil characters and events.

There will be characters for instance Naturelle Riviera(Rosario Dawson's character in 25th Hour) she will be J.C.'s love interest. She will think she is real. She will eventually run into Becky(Rosario from Clerks 2) realizing this isn't normal she seeks out to find the REAL Rosario Dawson... This is just one example of how characters from fiction come into play but they aren't really those characters. They are just beings created from my mind from various mes, Which really are still a part of myself. this is a tale of existentialism. What it means to be human, who we really are in this universe, what being real really means, and the roles we play in the universe.

I truly believe in this project and I know this will work. I have worked on various projects etc, but nothing that has ever inspired me so much, and has so much pouring out of me so easily.

it is a very serious premise and serious tale of the human condition and how we are all connected and the key question... what does it mean to be human....

all the while it will be done in this free flowing universe where characters you know and love will pop in, make cameos and/or play major roles. Making this fun and humorous along the way.

Queshire

Istar
Okay... Well, I still maintain that it would be better to use original characters. With original characters it forces you to be more creative. Futher, I suggest seperating your main character, er, characters futher from yourself. It's too easy to fall into the trap of basing them on your image of yourself, in essence making them perfect little Mary Sues. Naturally, your main character will have aspects of yourself, it's impossible otherwise, but I suggest basing them on certain aspects of your personality instead of the whole.

Now, I won't say that this is a bad idea, it has a lot of potential, I just stress being very, very, VERY careful. Self-insertion fan fics... well they don't have the best reputation around the 'net.

Completely agreed... and yes I am being open about who these characters who to you guys... but I don't plan on being so open about the auto-biography part... and these characters may take on different names... but I did want the particular element of fantasy and pop culture involved.

So most wouldn't necessarily recognize it is self insertion rather full fledged characters thrust into this world that involves all original characters as well as some familiar faces.

Also I may be having trouble explaining these separate versions of myself, as well when I say these are all parts of me, this isn't something that will be stated or on the forefront... rather I dont think ANY artist can truly create any character without seeing parts of himself in it...

since this is an existential tale the characters will recognize the connections and the lines between individuality will blend and sometimes there may be deconstruction of identity....

I am just being more general in explaining the project on ths surface is all.... I am trying not to just explain this to death because the writing will explain it more and be more clear.... that is why this is dificult to explain without actually having already created this world some for others to understand its universe

would love others to get involved! I have been laying out an outline for the story... I have a vision here but I am open to altering that vision slightly if it is for the better... I always believe in flexibility.

If you are genuinely interested, I would be happy to show you my outlines and see what I have thus far, and see where I am going with the building of this universe... then if you have a character(yourself, or someone else even) you want to incorporate I am all ears(eyes technically online haha) I envision that once this universe is up and going since it will be so open and fluid we could have TONS of characters, and those characters could have their own narrative, and possibly be written by other people

so long as they stay within the realm of the universe originally built and don't conflict with the path I have set for the story go along... NOW... if you have a fresh idea and want to alter the direction some said chapters into the future, then if you got something substantial I am willing to bend. Just know that I have pride in this and believe in it. So it would need to be a powerful and thought out addition. Not just any ol ideas thrown together on paper.

Look at this series like a comic book.... I am (not saying I am his equivalent rather similar situation in relation), say I am Stan Lee... I have created the Xmen... I write for years or what have you... building this universe... then one day other writers come on board... and they take the universe in other directions, ie: the chris claremont era....

JCFarnham

Auror
Very interesting idea Rich. You do seem to have a good handle on it, and I mean how could I not like a protagonist called Jc ;)

I'm keen to see where this goes. I can't say I have the kind of time to commit to contributing anything, but I'm happy to work as a first reader for you. That being I'd read and give you some critique or whatever you need.

Thanks for the support guys! I guess it just been so long since I have started writing such a project I was a lil nervous haha

I used to do projects like this with a friend of mine. I thought maybe I could find someone like minded who would help me get this off the ground and running... It seems though with each passing minute more and more of this universe makes sense to me and the fog is clearing up each passing moment!

I will post chapter one soon as it is finished guys!