• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Herbs and plants

TheokinsJ

Troubadour
In my WIP, set in a cold-scandinavian climate in the early ninth century AD, my main character takes an arrow to the knee (quite literally) and needs healing. Now- not knowing much about medieval medicine I presumed that to heal the would and clear it of infection, maggots would eat the dead flesh and then (I am guessing?) the wound would have been patched with a bandage of herbs or something to sterilise it. Basically I'm wondering what herbs and plants used for medicinal purposes grow in cold climates in europe?

ALB2012

Maester
Gardening in Cold Climates: Perennial Herbs for Cold Climates
Medicinal and Magical Herbs of Medieval Europe
BBC - h2g2 - Herbs in European History - A3420497
Scabious might work too.
I used Culpepers complete herbal. that says Adders-tongue, bifoil, primrose, burnet, moonwort for wounds but I can't comment on whether they would grow in Scandanavia at that time. As Culpeper was 17th Century I think it might not be that useful.

However that said you need to think about the following questions - 1) is there a healer there/someone who WOULD know what to do.
2) what do they have with them?
3) How deep is the wound?

What is more likely is - remove the arrow (and hope he doesn't bleed to death), caurterise the wound, use honey and maybe herbs and bind it. Oh and hope:)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I did a quick search on "medicinal plants in norway" and got a wide variety, but just on the first page was this:
Cosmo's Garden: Bergen, Norway: The Leprosy Museum and The Botanical Garden

I think if you invested an hour or so, you'd find what you needed. I chose Norway over Scandinavia because of modern geopolitical prejudices; that is, you'll get more hits by using the modern country names, so check Sweden and Finland and Denmark, too.