• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How can I do to select a piece of land within demarcated borders in Photoshop?

Miaristan

Dreamer
Hi,

I ask this question because I wanted to select the magic wand tool because I remembered this is how I was able to select what was supposed to be water or land in a fictional map.

But after I draw the demarcated borders for my fictional map, I now want to select only the piece of land of a single bordered nation.

But this seems harder than what I except and I wasn't able to do it.

What I want to do is to select a portion of the land layer I created a few months ago in my Photoshop file, but instead using the entire layer, I would want to select only the portion within demarcated borders, then create new layers with this for each of the country and territory of my fictional world.

That would theoretically allow me to create charts (similar with MapChart) directly in my Photoshop file instead having to create a MS Paint version of the same file.

So, I wonder if you understand my issue and if you could be able to help me.

Thanks you, and have a good day!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Color it all with one, or similar colors and use the select tool, then change it back to the original color.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Hi,

I ask this question because I wanted to select the magic wand tool because I remembered this is how I was able to select what was supposed to be water or land in a fictional map.

But after I draw the demarcated borders for my fictional map, I now want to select only the piece of land of a single bordered nation.

But this seems harder than what I except and I wasn't able to do it.

What I want to do is to select a portion of the land layer I created a few months ago in my Photoshop file, but instead using the entire layer, I would want to select only the portion within demarcated borders, then create new layers with this for each of the country and territory of my fictional world.

That would theoretically allow me to create charts (similar with MapChart) directly in my Photoshop file instead having to create a MS Paint version of the same file.

So, I wonder if you understand my issue and if you could be able to help me.

Thanks you, and have a good day!
There is another option:

Open map in MS Paint instead of photoshop and use the 'select' option. Then copy that selection to another MS Paint file and open it.

Miaristan

Dreamer
Finally, it just happened when I drew the national borders of my fictional map in my "borders" layer, I forgot to also draw the coastal borders for the same layer. But I finally solved the issue by using the sea and land layers, using the magic wand tool and using the "contour" option to draw 3px lines for the coastal borders. So thanks you all, and have a good night!

Rexenm

Inkling
MS paint is bad for creating maps. If you select the magic tool, then maybe it would be more relevant. If you use the eraser, you get the same problems - though flipped. It is an evil little program. It is better to use pen and paper, because then you have ink right in front of you, and everything is layer out generic and true. But using a pencil, there are layers to erase. If you manage to use flash, then that is true. Flash is a program that has managed to ink itself into a plethora of media. Photoshop has pros and cons.

The effect is different to your demarcated selection, which is why borders are better erased.
but instead using the entire layer
Layers are the only way to make an easy edit, but rarer still is the professional that doesn’t use this method, requiring skill.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
MS paint is bad for creating maps. If you select the magic tool, then maybe it would be more relevant. If you use the eraser, you get the same problems - though flipped. It is an evil little program. It is better to use pen and paper, because then you have ink right in front of you, and everything is layer out generic and true. But using a pencil, there are layers to erase. If you manage to use flash, then that is true. Flash is a program that has managed to ink itself into a plethora of media. Photoshop has pros and cons.

The effect is different to your demarcated selection, which is why borders are better erased.

Layers are the only way to make an easy edit, but rarer still is the professional that doesn’t use this method, requiring skill.
I made all the maps in my books with MS Paint. I worked with what I had.

https://flic.kr/p/2ohVLY2

Utilising Layers in photoshop is the key, and there’s always a way to achieve what you want to achieve, just might take some time.

Rexenm

Inkling
I worked with what I had.
That is a nice map. Does the ship fall off the edge of the world? I like the names, especially some. Does it have a story attached, or are you just into cartography? I would like to know when you reach the end of the world.
just might take some time.
Layers have always irritated me. I remember drawing a B in school, taking ages to alter it, and that was as far as I got. In a gif program, I created a sprite, like an internet meme.

If you go with a black and white map, like some professionals are trained in, then you have the element of surprise.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
That is a nice map. Does the ship fall off the edge of the world? I like the names, especially some. Does it have a story attached, or are you just into cartography? I would like to know when you reach the end of the world.

Layers have always irritated me. I remember drawing a B in school, taking ages to alter it, and that was as far as I got. In a gif program, I created a sprite, like an internet meme.

If you go with a black and white map, like some professionals are trained in, then you have the element of surprise.

Thank you for the compliment. That is for my 'Empire' series - and other stories set in that world. Might as well put a link up to the 'Complete Collection.'

A couple of the reviewers also liked the maps.

The shape is my attempt to mitigate the usual problems fantasy maps run into - mapping a globe onto a flat surface. With real world Mercator projections, this sort of map creates situations where Greenland is larger than South America. Only rarely do I see fantasy maps where this effect - longitudinal distortion - is taken into account.

My map is a 40 degree 'slice' of the globe, one of nine - though a couple still need work. Four of the maps appear in the various books. My method of longitudinal correction isn't perfect, but it's close enough.

Rexenm

Inkling
My maps have always preceded the text, but it is by far one of the enjoyable processes of writing. I recently finished a book, where the characters all travel in the same direction - a little primitive, and written by a friend on lined paper, but it has been going on since school - in the pockets of my imagination. The premise was to have a cat travel to the mountains, but to a dormant volcano. My friend said he should have made it a volcano - surrounded by a wall, like China. You told me in my introduction post about your book, but didn’t post a link. I should get my funds across. Is it, finished since then? I’m more interested in reading that than rereading some of my generational stuff. Not that I can read anymore anyway, you have to force that stuff down my throat.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
My maps have always preceded the text, but it is by far one of the enjoyable processes of writing. I recently finished a book, where the characters all travel in the same direction - a little primitive, and written by a friend on lined paper, but it has been going on since school - in the pockets of my imagination. The premise was to have a cat travel to the mountains, but to a dormant volcano. My friend said he should have made it a volcano - surrounded by a wall, like China. You told me in my introduction post about your book, but didn’t post a link. I should get my funds across. Is it, finished since then? I’m more interested in reading that than rereading some of my generational stuff. Not that I can read anymore anyway, you have to force that stuff down my throat.
Yes, the 'Empire' series is finished. The reviewers did complain about grammar bugs, so I pulled the entire series and reedited last month. 'Empire: The Complete Collection' is the fully edited version. I've been rereleasing the others at intervals of about a week.

'Empire' is part post-war epic fantasy and part eldritch horror, set in a tottering empire that just barely triumphed over a demon ruled rival nation. Two years after that dubious victory, Tia Samos sets out across the decimated nation hunting for highborn men willing to marry wealthy commoners like herself. She is accompanied by her knightly protector Sir Peter Cortez, a bitter man tired of shedding blood on distant battlefields, her carriage driver Kyle, a traumatized veteran with a knack for magic, and her maid and personal minstrel Rebecca. They deal with everything from bandits to courtly intrigue to demonic plots while trying to make places for themselves in an empire they no longer recognize.

Rexenm

Inkling
I like fantasy that put you in your place. There are many such fantasy I have read in early childhood from the library. There is so much that a battle cannot express. However that is not to thwart high fantasy. There is the plethora of fiction, and there is also the miasma. There it is, two schools of thought, that resonate with an individual. Promises are made, plans are kept. It reminds me of Jurassic Park, and Jeff Goldblum and his sayings, that suddenly turn a family adventure into a horrific nightmare - a good gift for Christmas.

Yes, the 'Empire' series is finished. The reviewers did complain about grammar bugs, so I pulled the entire series and reedited last month. 'Empire: The Complete Collection' is the fully edited version. I've been rereleasing the others at intervals of about a week.

'Empire' is part post-war epic fantasy and part eldritch horror, set in a tottering empire that just barely triumphed over a demon ruled rival nation. Two years after that dubious victory, Tia Samos sets out across the decimated nation hunting for highborn men willing to marry wealthy commoners like herself. She is accompanied by her knightly protector Sir Peter Cortez, a bitter man tired of shedding blood on distant battlefields, her carriage driver Kyle, a traumatized veteran with a knack for magic, and her maid and personal minstrel Rebecca. They deal with everything from bandits to courtly intrigue to demonic plots while trying to make places for themselves in an empire they no longer recognize.
Well you just got me to download a sample sooo… 😆