• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to do movements

BabiesGame

Acolyte
How would you suggest writing about posture of the body we don't really have a good enough langauge , how do we descibe properly the posture of someone in are story, do we list the angles of bends in their arm? i know it's not really practicle for a writer to be able to describe the postures of the charaters but what would you suggest if one is going to try to?

Kaellpae

Inkling
When I read a story and the author describes a character to me I just assume how their posture would be. If they come across as uncaring or lazy I don't see them sitting or walking stiff as a rod. I guess if I described it I would just work it into their mannerisms of how they walk and sit.

I hope that's the posture you mean.

BabiesGame

Acolyte
yea i was just think of what i wanted to right and i came across the problem when i was trying to describe how the charater was holding his hands or his arms or legs were positioned

I think the moment you start describing their posture is the moment you've stopped writing fiction and started on a grovveliong biography :p

most people will pick up their posutre from their mannarisms, as already said earlier, and everyone else - well - dosen't really care. It's an entierly unimportant detail except in the most extreme sircumstances, and even then you can jst say something simple like 'she had better posture than x' or something equally as obvious

hope this helped :)

Dante Sawyer

Troubadour
I wouldn't worry so much about the exact body position. If you really insist on doing so, however, get one of those model doll things that artists use (the ones with movable joints and limbs). Move the figure to fit whoever's posture you're trying to mimic and describe what you see.

Sevvie

Dreamer
If you start trying to write scenes as overly detailed as "The man sat stiffly in the wooden char, his back arched as he rested his chin on a fist. His left leg was crossed at the ankle over his right knee, as his left hand gripped tight onto the loose fabric covering his thigh, in clear distress. He neck strained from his shoulders in the position, elbow planted firmly on the thigh of the leg that crossed the other."
--Then you're trying to overthink things. :p The same gesture can be imagined through much simpler terms that give off the same impression and imagery, in a less clunky way.