• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to write villains

dollyt8

Minstrel
I hope this is the right place to share this. I've been working on a blog for some time, and while many posts are directly related only to my novels, there are a lot of other posts that are tips for writers in general. For example, I just finished a three-blog series on writing villains; how to make them scary, as well as how to make them sympathetic, that might be useful. You can find all three here: Read the Blog

I'm wondering, what are your thoughts on sympathetic villains vs. the truly monstrous villains? It seems like some people feel the sympathetic villain trope needs to go entirely, but I'm not really there yet. I think it's better to have both sympathetic and completely horrific villains for contrast.

Diana Silver

Troubadour
I'm not sure I'd follow you in the dichotomy. Every character - villain or hero or antihero - can have all sorts of traits. Some of them sympathetic, some of them monstrous. I personally prefer to have all my characters be monstrous in some regard at some point during the story. The question is: what makes the monster in them come out?

A truly monstrous villain who is only that all the time... that is certainly a trope. Personally, I have no clue how I could make that realistic, though.

JBCrowson

Inkling
I'd go further and consider not only what makes the monster come out when it does, but why it doesn't come out more, how characters put the monster away again when it has done its thing. David Banner - Hulk is much more interesting (to me) for this reason than simply Hulk smashing things without that conflict.

JBCrowson

Inkling
Liked the blogs, very easy to read through. One thought - I'd see those entries as being more "what makes villains believable" than "how to write villains". Of course the former is needed for the latter, and I am splitting hairs somewhat in making the distinction. Good luck with the November writing goal - ambition is essential to a good villain (cue evil laughter).

Mad Swede

Auror
In my experience from writing fiction based on my real life experiences, the most effective villains are those who seem ordinary people with normal character flaws. That makes their actions and behaviour far more of a shock when it is revealed, and it means I can have the protagonists act and react in ways which give their characterisation more depth.

dollyt8

Minstrel
I'm not sure I'd follow you in the dichotomy. Every character - villain or hero or antihero - can have all sorts of traits. Some of them sympathetic, some of them monstrous. I personally prefer to have all my characters be monstrous in some regard at some point during the story. The question is: what makes the monster in them come out?

A truly monstrous villain who is only that all the time... that is certainly a trope. Personally, I have no clue how I could make that realistic, though.
It definitely doesn't have to be a dichotomy, but it's often looked at that way. What I'm referring to is the trope of villains that are 100% pure evil by nature, often embodying the actual devil or the fact of evil in the world rather than being full characters, vs. the characters that are evil because of nurture or lack thereof and are therefore usually presented as not being fully responsible for their actions.

Anyway, thanks for your input!
Liked the blogs, very easy to read through. One thought - I'd see those entries as being more "what makes villains believable" than "how to write villains". Of course the former is needed for the latter, and I am splitting hairs somewhat in making the distinction. Good luck with the November writing goal - ambition is essential to a good villain (cue evil laughter).
Lol you're right. Maybe I need to rebrand the series. I'm glad you liked them, and thank you!
In my experience from writing fiction based on my real life experiences, the most effective villains are those who seem ordinary people with normal character flaws. That makes their actions and behaviour far more of a shock when it is revealed, and it means I can have the protagonists act and react in ways which give their characterisation more depth.
Definitely! However I also like the really iconic villains that, even though they may be somewhat one-dimensional, are completely unforgettable because of presentation. Thanks for your input!