• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hullooo from the Nutmeg State!

Toob Waysider

Hi there!

I stumbled across the forum today while searching online for a particular topic. And I was impressed by the knowledge, and especially the helpfulness, displayed in the comments on a similar quest.

While I have created an entire fantasy world in an alternate dimension to supply background history when needed, I'm more of a Shire/Bree type of fabulist. My focus is on a census-undesignated Connecticut village on the Connecticut Notch with the main setting being a tavern straddling that border. My inspiration is the "fantastic club & bar tales" by such writers as Dunsany, Pratt & deCamp, and Spider Robinson among others.

Looking forward to what I can learn from your experiences....

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Howdy toob. Welcome here.

Was just learning about dudley forest today. An actual dark woods in Connecticut. Seems like it could be a backdrop to something

Toob Waysider

Howdy toob. Welcome here.

Was just learning about dudley forest today. An actual dark woods in Connecticut. Seems like it could be a backdrop to something
I know Dudleytown is inaccessible now thanks to inconsiderate trespassers back in the 1990s, but I'd still like to even see it from the outside of the perimeter. "Dark Entry Forest" - so formal a name! For the most part, I think we're used to a quick description for a place name. To me, "Dark Entry Forest" calls back to an earlier age.

(In my backstory for my Connecticut village, the residents were to blame for hyping Dudleytown's reputation as a ghost town. There are always rumors - usually true - about what goes on at the Notch, so the villagers get them distracted elsewhere.)

Toob Waysider

Dunsany was a recent find for me, even though I've been reading fantasy since I was a kid.
He was an early influence on me after Tolkien. He inspired one of my characters in an Elizabethan/Jacobean "superhero" team which lies dormant in a desk drawer. I almost used his title as the name of my village, but it might have been too obvious. (LOL As if the choice I made isn't for a Connecticut location for ghosts - Canterville.) And the story titles always stayed with me - "Idle Days on the Yann", "The Fortress Unvanquishable, Save For Sacnoth"....

I agree. The dark forest seems to speak to some ancient shared memory of early humans. It features in fairy tales from many places. I thought 'Mythago Wood' and 'Lavondyss' caught that idea really well. Funnily enough my attempt for this weeks challenge that I posted a few hours ago takes place in such a dark wood.

Toob Waysider

I agree. The dark forest seems to speak to some ancient shared memory of early humans. It features in fairy tales from many places. I thought 'Mythago Wood' and 'Lavondyss' caught that idea really well. Funnily enough my attempt for this weeks challenge that I posted a few hours ago takes place in such a dark wood.
JB, where can I find the forum for the challenge?