• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Involving music without writing songs

SeverinR

Vala
try reading Anne McCaffreys Dragonsong and Dragonsinger, I've not read them for a looong time but I do seem to recall that even thouth the MC is a musician and music runs heavily through the story there isn't actually a lot of actual song words.

If your trying to convey the background history to certain events in song form like Tolkien, then by all means write out the song lyrics. But it is equally possible to describe beautiful music and songs without actually writing a single lyric, or even knowing music theory / history.

I play a few instruments myself, and occsasionally dabble in composition, but whether that would make me better at depicting a musician or not I don't know. I suspect I'd be more influenced by my musician firends and their personalities / lifestyles than by what I personally know about music making

the limited experiences you've described having with instruments is I think more than enough to ensure your writing is reasonably accurate technically.

BTW the lullaby is good :)
Had to go with Dragonsinger, dragonsong wasn't in. I've read part two before part one many times, a well written sequel is a complete book in itself, even if it continues a story.

It had an interesting start, only 4 chapters in.

SeverinR

Vala
Finished the book, Dragonsinger, in almost record time for me.

Not sure I can ramble off music tech as easily as the author did. I know I can write a mc with a beginner musician level, not sure about advanced. I only took 1 year of violin, 1 year of horn, and two years of chorus all in elementary school.
Even more so since the focus is on the elf-dragonet bond and their mutual love of music, rather then learning the difference between a quarter note and a thirty second note.

I think this goes back to what level of expertise is an author trying to portray.
Anyone should be able to write on a basic level on any given topic with minor research. But if you want to write about a master's degree level of understanding your going to have to do alot of research.

Last edited:

CMSikora

Acolyte
I recommend one series for songs, but I urge you to get the audiobook for the full effect. The Bloody Jack series, although it's historical, contains a whole bunch of songs and shanties that go well in the same style as a bard. The second book, The Curse of the Blue Tattoo is especially full of these songs.

These songs contain lyrics and are sung by the incredibly talented narrator. Hopefully they help.

ascanius

Inkling
I have done something similar to what you are describing. What I did was describe the sound of the music as the character heard it, metaphors helped too. But I will say that knowing an instrument myself has helped. I would recommend looking up music dynamic markings and basic theory such as melody, and harmony. Then describe the music in the context of those words and how they sound. For instance.
The soft crescendo of her voice filled the air. Each note tied to the next, only to end in sharp staccatos that soared high above like vivid sparks. The gentle diminuendo of her voice grew with the stillness around her to fade into nothingness. She let the silence grow before getting up and walking away.
All you really have to do is describe the music and how it flows, how it feels. Like for a funeral the song would be in a minor key, this gives it a sad feeling. Describe how the song progresses from beginning to end. I always try to think of the music in terms of wind, or fire, or a heart beat. Something to compare it to then go from their and describe how it can be harrowing, or joyful and the ways it is. What you really need to do, what everyone needs to do is listen to classical music. Chopin, Bach, Vivaldi, Brahms, Litz, Mendlesson, Mozart is ok too. Close your eyes and feel the music. I do this every time I play the piano always in the dark with my eyes closed and I would rather be blind than deaf. Do that and remember how the music flowed. Try to feel how you want your readers to feel when they read it.

SeverinR

Vala
Asca: Your second paragraph sounds great, but I haven't the slightest idea what it really says. I know they are characteristics of music, but I couldn't identify them in a song.

3rd P: Actually, hearing the gemshorn being played motivated me to make it a bigger part of the book. With the MC being a novice I can write easily on that level. But if I do a sequel, she would be a full bard then, not sure I can write at that level without alot of research. But I will look into what you suggest.

I would describe the gemshorn's sound as a cross between a flute and a recorder(flutaphone). More limited then both, because it only has three holes on top and one behind(optional).

JCFarnham

Auror
If I wasn't a musician myself all ready I would try and write this from the point of view of someone who knows equally as little. From then on you only really need to deal with sensory description and emotional reaction.

Of course I am a musician and have written a "small number" of songs so the above doesn't really count in my case does it ;)

SeverinR

Vala
Maybe the sequel will be told by a different person, rather then following the Bard.
Still her story, just from someone else's viewpoint.

JCFarnham

Auror
Maybe the sequel will be told by a different person, rather then following the Bard.
Still her story, just from someone else's viewpoint.

Ah, now there's an interesting idea. I don't believe I've read a sequel which continues one character's story using a different point of view from the first book. Of course if you can think of some worth while series that do it I'd be interested enough to read them... as long as they aren't 35 book in series, written over 20 billion years, it's all good (I don't know anyone who has that kind of reading time in their lives haha).

Even when you are using the Bards pov, you should still really push the sensory element. I like to think at a certain point that most Musicians stop copying when playing and start instictively feeling what they are doing. For me, music shouldn't be and isn't mechanical - ironically I've played in a number of classical orchestras so what am I saying? ;). So to portray a travelling musician realism suggest the focus would be on senses and feeling.

SeverinR

Vala
I can see getting to wrapped up in "music tech" as with any other specialty and losing the emotional connection.
Which is basically what I am writing about.
The magic of a bard, influencing the listeners emotions, motivations, and attitude. A relative weak magic alone, but powerful in a group.
So there will need to be some educational stuff for her as she learns, but it is more about the music. She plays the Gemshorn and just started the lute before the story begins. Learning to play songs, not learning music.

ascanius

Inkling
Sorry about the wall of text ya'll. First,I think that emotion should be of the utmost importance and not the technical musical notation; dynamics, forte, crescendo, diminuendo, etc. Go for the overall emotional "flow,"of the music and not the technical details. I say this seeing that the vast majority to not understand musical notation when I mean, diminuendo etc. go for the feeling, and the emotion it evokes. Worry about how the music impacts other characters but also how the music paints a picture.

I hope this helps along with the other useful information others have provided..

Klee Shay

Troubadour
You could go the route of Elizabeth Hayden in her Symphony of Ages series. Her main character, Rhapsody,amost never has specific lyrics, she describes her character as singing her morning aubades, evening vespers, (Rhapsody always sings to the rising and setting sun), etc. Haydon does occasionally put lyrics in but it's almost always Grunthor who sings dirty, disgusting, military marching songs (his favorite is 'Leave No Limb Unbroken).

You might try saying your character sings certain styles at certain times without ever having to write down the words. Or not very often, anyway.