• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Kinda want to make some 'expies' of substances for my fantasy setting.

I already have one for 'plant' substances. It's a plant called Relaxiya. It's incredibly poisonous to consume normally but when small amounts are mixed with tobacco and similar plants it causes 'relaxation' among other things. (hence the name) While the combination of ingredients makes it non toxic (don't ask me how) too much of it can be well, ya know. It's a 'plant' based substance. Not many people are brave enough to smoke it by the way. The joke is if you're smoking Relaxiya, (pronounced just how it sounds) you REALLY need to relax, and nobody's going to question why.

Another idea I'm playing with is Milk from a species of cows which have a high mana concentration. When fermented like wine (for just as many years) it becomes some of the strongest alcohol. I don't know what to call it though and borrowing the name from a Zelda Item seems like cheating since I'm already borrowing the concept.

Joe McM

Minstrel
I like it. I hadn’t thought about inventing a plant specific to a fantasy world. All the plants and herbs I have in my first book are from real-life herbal books. A few of my characters, including my main character are healers.

I like it. I hadn’t thought about inventing a plant specific to a fantasy world. All the plants and herbs I have in my first book are from real-life herbal books. A few of my characters, including my main character are healers.
I'm fine with like Tobacco and stuff in my books, especially in a real world setting where that stuff exists.
In a fantasy setting though, we have so much freedom for like, abusive substances, like pot etc. Can have a lot of fun with what the 'drug' does to you too.
Though in my setting the real world things like tobacco and wine exist, my story targets a younger audience (teens and mid twenties) so I'd rather avoid using 'pot' ' weed' etc.

Doesn't mean you can't get away with it though. The idea though is that these 'expy's are absolutely referencing an abusive substance, but they're still pretty much their own thing. (like how Relaxiya has three leaves, but has very little to do with weed)

Joe McM

Minstrel
I'm fine with like Tobacco and stuff in my books, especially in a real world setting where that stuff exists.
In a fantasy setting though, we have so much freedom for like, abusive substances, like pot etc. Can have a lot of fun with what the 'drug' does to you too.
Though in my setting the real world things like tobacco and wine exist, my story targets a younger audience (teens and mid twenties) so I'd rather avoid using 'pot' ' weed' etc.

Doesn't mean you can't get away with it though. The idea though is that these 'expy's are absolutely referencing an abusive substance, but they're still pretty much their own thing. (like how Relaxiya has three leaves, but has very little to do with weed)
My books are targeted for a young adults. So, I too have that in mind. For my world, I might create a plant that regrows limbs or bone, perhaps in conjunction with an infusion of healing energy. Thanks for helping think in a new direction.

My books are targeted for a young adults. So, I too have that in mind. For my world, I might create a plant that regrows limbs or bone, perhaps in conjunction with an infusion of healing energy. Thanks for helping think in a new direction.
Well the idea with Relaxiya is that it's incredibly toxic (It causes your nervous system to entirely freeze, and acts as quick as most snake venom) and even a small amount can lead to a coma or worse. But like real life, some goofy goober out there found a way to make it non toxic, or well, less toxic even tho it's technically still bad for you. The plant does have good usage as an antivenom ingredient for venoms that cause paralyze effects, but I thought it'd be fun to have it be a pot expy too.

I do recommend that especially if you're in a fantasy setting? Have some fun with what the 'substance' actually does to you and don't limit yourself to real life. You could even make the effects of the 'toxic' plant more or less harmless, but something that would make life uncomfortable for long periods. (Like imagine a species of worms that use a toxin in their body to glow in the dark, and if you nom them your skin glows in the dark in whatever color the worm is, but eating too many of them in one day can make the effect permanent lol)

Like another plant I have yet to name is basically catnip for all human species, but in large enough dosage it also makes you high as a kite, nowhere near as bad for you as relaxiya though. It's closer to Nicotine in terms of toxicity. It'll probably be mostly harmless other than turning off your brain/ mouth filter.

In Ottessa Moshfegh’s novel ‘My Year of Rest and Relaxation’ we see the narrator go to a wack psychiatrist who prescribes her a fictional drug called infermiterol, that causes memory loss lasting several days. That entire book is a work of satire, and this fictional drug cleverly moves the plot forward.

I have something I call Limpleaf which is a sort of opium substitute, and Scale, which is literally a scale from the belly of a fish, pressed onto the skin of the lower abdomen. An antagonist assassin uses it. pain deadening, sense and speed sharpening, empathy zapping... a pretty run-of-the-mill villainous accelerant.

I have something I call Limpleaf which is a sort of opium substitute, and Scale, which is literally a scale from the belly of a fish, pressed onto the skin of the lower abdomen. An antagonist assassin uses it. pain deadening, sense and speed sharpening, empathy zapping... a pretty run-of-the-mill villainous accelerant.
Ooh I like ‘Scale’

pmmg

Myth Weaver
What is an expie? Generally, that is a slang term for exporting/importing a character from another series into your own? Is this a drug culture word?

I have made up several plants by name in my story world, and made up a lot of what the world looks like that is different than our own. Drug use is not a theme, but some characters have been using drugs at times for different reasons. Something like Pot appears briefly for two side characters. And several drugs used like medicines appear. Some of the characters use a hallucinogen to spur 'visions' from the Gods, but as yet, it is unnamed. And a drug like peyote may appear in the current book.

What is an expie? Generally, that is a slang term for exporting/importing a character from another series into your own? Is this a drug culture word?

I have made up several plants by name in my story world, and made up a lot of what the world looks like that is different than our own. Drug use is not a theme, but some characters have been using drugs at times for different reasons. Something like Pot appears briefly for two side characters. And several drugs used like medicines appear. Some of the characters use a hallucinogen to spur 'visions' from the Gods, but as yet, it is unnamed. And a drug like peyote may appear in the current book.
When used in the sense of the gaming space. It usually refers to a 'look alike' typically the term only comes up when talking about characters. Usually referring to characters who are clearly inspired by character A but character B is still very much their own thing. Some games from the same company use character designs to make 'new' versions of characters from previous games, particularly when multiple universes are involved. We call those expies and it's kinda used in that same sense you guessed.

Relaxiya is a medical herb, that is very toxic, that makes you high when smoked, it is similar enough to pot to be considered an Expie, but it's technically not an addictive substance. It's dangerous enough that even those that smoke it don't really risk smoking it too often because it is still dangerous in large amounts.