• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magic or magicks?

A

Astner

This may not belong in this section, but I'm curios as to why some people use the anarchic form of magic. Is there any specific reason you do so, is there's a difference between magic and magick in your world? As in one dealing with ancient sorcery, whereas the other is more modern?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I think it is a matter of taste. I tend to use both [just to confuse things :confused:].
My characters tend to use "magic" but have "magicks" used against them...
I guess magicks sounds [ye olde tea shoppe] older and I know at least one author that uses magix because it sounds "modern"...

Lorna

Inkling
The word magic was coined in the 14th C. The distinction between magic and magick first came into being in the 17th C with Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy. It was picked up by Crowley in the early 20th C as a way of distinguishing magick as a serious method of transforming oneself and the world from the magic used by illusionists and featured in fiction. It's common in today's society for those who practice wicca and high / ceremonial magick to continue to use the 'k' to distinguish their real arts from the type of magic one might find in Harry Potter.