• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magic system

Janice Ziems

Acolyte
I am writing a fantasy story for middle graders. Would it make sense if I had three “Guardians” who are protecting a powerful object to receive their power directly from a Divine power, and another wizard to pull his power from the underworld, and any other witch or wizard pull their magic from nature? They all have different powers and the three Guardians use to be humans/witch and wizards and are now more like celestial beings. I just want to make sure the magic system makes sense.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
So we have a divine object, the underworld and nature as three separate magic sources. That works fine. The more you can make the three magics feel different and awesome in their own way the stronger I would expect your system.

“Witches and wizards” being girl and boy magic users isn’t exactly standard. Witches tend to live out in the woods and call on spirits (nature or demonic) while wizards tend to be academics spending years crafting their spells. There’s no real standard, but it helps to be aware of expectations when choosing your terms. Nature wizards in particular might sound a little off.

Janice Ziems

Acolyte
So we have a divine object, the underworld and nature as three separate magic sources. That works fine. The more you can make the three magics feel different and awesome in their own way the stronger I would expect your system.

“Witches and wizards” being girl and boy magic users isn’t exactly standard. Witches tend to live out in the woods and call on spirits (nature or demonic) while wizards tend to be academics spending years crafting their spells. There’s no real standard, but it helps to be aware of expectations when choosing your terms. Nature wizards in particular might sound a little off.

Janice Ziems

Acolyte
Thank you. That really helps. The main protagonist is a twelve year old boy who doesn’t have any magical powers, so the magic is really just incorporated more for world building as opposed to a plot device. However, he will be fighting those with magical powers and I wanted to make sure that I wasn’t creating an illogical system. Thanks again.