• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Medieval History

Puck

Troubadour
For those who seek to take inspiration from medieval history for their fantasy writing (or simply for research), may be interested to know that in addition to writing fantasy fiction I also write a medieval history blog.

I try to post a new feature every week. So if you'd like to take a look I include the link below. If there are specific aspects of medieval history you'd like to research as background to any of your own work please feel free to ask me. I will try to get back with relevant info & if your questions really peak my interest I may write about it on the blog.

Home - Medieval History

Puck

Troubadour
At present there is only one article on there (about Robin Hood). Once I have built up a full complement it should work better. I'll probably be tweaking the format a bit this coming weekend to make everything a little clearer. (I say 'I' - my wife is the web designer).

Puck

Troubadour
We have tweaked this site to hopefully make it is easier to navigate (& hopefully made it look a little better). This week's blog is all about the Black Death if anyone fancies a somewhat harrowing Sunday read. Might serve as inspiration for horror writers perhaps - or if you're thinking of including a plague in your fantasy world.

Puck

Troubadour
Medieval history can be a great inspiration for fantasy writing - although certain characters from medieval history are so 'fantastic' that they appear almost unbelievable. Who would have believed that the 'Universal Spider' was actually a real historic person and not the creation of a fantasy writer?

I've started writing a serialised history of the Wars of the Roses on my blog - for those who are interested in the period that so inspired George RR Martin's GoT saga. (I am aware that doing this will eventually run into Ricardian territory - and, no doubt, cat amongst the pigeons territory as a result). But I am taking this one slow and quite detailed (starting way back with Edward III). So not too many cats thrown amongst pigeons to start with I hope. Anyway, here it is:

The Wars of the Roses and the fall of the Plantagenets - Medieval History

Puck

Troubadour
Louis XI ftw!

Indeed. I have to admit I am looking forward to writing about him - he was so deliciously Machiavellian that I don't think it possible for a fiction writer to have made him up. Any man who could say "If I thought my own cap knew my secrets, I would throw it into the fire." has to be worth writing about.