• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mythrillfiction & Inkitt

Ned Marcus

Maester
Has anyone tried mythrillfiction.com or inkitt.com? They seem similar to wattpad, but a bit different, too. If you have tried them, how were they? In general, have you come across much information about them? I've been searching for information (particularly about mythrillfiction) but haven't found much.

Any thoughts?

Upon a glance Mythrill Fiction looks so super masculine it’s almost funny, but I suppose that will gather a readership with their ‘male leads’ and ‘no romance’ promises 😂

Inkitt looks interesting, but Wattpad really has a monopoly on amateur authors uploading their work, so be interesting if it can secure a more adult readership, because that is the main aspect that would separate it from Wattpad.

Ned Marcus

Maester
Upon a glance Mythrill Fiction looks so super masculine it’s almost funny, but I suppose that will gather a readership with their ‘male leads’ and ‘no romance’ promises 😂

Inkitt looks interesting, but Wattpad really has a monopoly on amateur authors uploading their work, so be interesting if it can secure a more adult readership, because that is the main aspect that would separate it from Wattpad.
I think it's a reaction against the paranormal romance stories that have invaded the Amazon (etc) fantasy bestseller charts. They do say that a bit of romance is okay. Not all fantasy readers (including many women) want fantasy to be primarily romantic or erotic.

I thought Inkitt might be interesting because Wattpad has become so over-saturated with authors trying to promote their works.

If anyone has had even modest success on Wattpad, I'd be very interested to hear about that. Wattpad looks super competitive at the moment.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Yeah, if they are saying less romance, they are kind of setting up for more male style fantasy. So they are projecting it.

I dont know either of these. I had an account on wattpad but never posted there.

I don’t always want to read romantasy, in fact I don’t read that genre very often, however Mythrill looks like they are trying to be an antithesis to what many might find unappealing, so while I get that, it is saying to me ‘don’t bother coming here’. A reactive marketing strategy will only get them a niche audience, so they will never be a Wattpad competitor.

I would certainly be attracted to a platform that was a more adult version of Wattpad because it is so saturated with an odd mixture of romantasy, fanfic and erotic mafia themed (?!) fiction.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm not on any of those apps, but I do read Webtoons, which is graphic story site owned by the company that bought Wattpad not too long ago.

The working strategy for these kinds of places is pretty clear: Volume. Quality matters, sure, but overwhelmingly readers on these places prefer to follow the trends of what they like, and jump to the next kind-of-similar-but-still-good story. They want their reading experience to never end.

On webtoons, other than romance, the gamified dungeon-apocalypse setting also does very well. Dungeons appear all over the real world, and some people have awakened a hunter progression system that lets them fight the monsters coming from them. It's very gamey, but some of them are pretty good.

Regardless, if your book doesn't follow the trends, I would skip these sites. The trends are what keeps the audience, and while there's some loose strands that do alright, the promotion is minimal, and it's easy to get buried. That's true anywhere, of course, but IMO, if you're good enough to do well on Wattpad without following the trends, you'd do even better with a different publishing route.

And at a glance, I would say that Mythrill Fiction is giving me an edgelord vibe, and it probably doesn't have much of an audience.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I wonder where all the cover art came from.

Hrmm, it looks like Mythrill Fiction works like a publisher and provides those materials for the stories they accept, without charge. Their become an author page looks a lot more legitimate than I was expecting.