• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Non human ears

How exactly elves and other creatures with weird big ears use helmets, glasses headphones etc?
In my current project I have an cat girl\space elf character and she need a good helmet, a communicator head set, a 3d visor and maybe a full face gas mask. Her ears aren't that big, but are probably too big for a standard helmet/gas mask.

elemtilas

Inkling
1. I guess it rather depends on how big and how weird the ears are with respect to the makers of helmets, spectacles, headphones, etc. I should think that an Elvish helmetsmith or spectaclewright would be cognizant of the shape and size of typical Elvish ears and understand how to design devices with those anatomical features in mind.

2. If your Catgirl / SpaceElf has just recently joined the forces of the Imperial Galactic Federation, then I'd suggest getting her a roll of duct tape. Otherwise, if her kind have already been in contact with and perhaps work with your space federation, they will probably have some kind of workaround already in place. She may need to pay a visit to a materials engineer who can scan her head and design a proper helmet and headset for her.

Corwynn

Troubadour
It will depend on the shape of the ears, and their position on the skull. Are they more cat-like, or elf-like? Cat ears are movable and have no bones, so in a pinch she could just flatten them, either deliberately through muscle control, or by squishing them underneath a standard helmet, although this might get uncomfortable. If the ears are more elf-like, then they wouldn't be too different from human ears, unless they are very long or stick out at an odd angle.

It also depends on how common the species in question is in a given society. If her species is numerous, and well-known and represented, then finding equipment that fits her might not be an issue; but if her people are new or rare, then she might have to make do with standard gear, or get custom equipment if possible. I would strongly recommend against duct tape, since she'll have to take it off at some point, and she'll probably rip out a bunch of hair in the process.

In my own universe, ear shape varies a great deal between species, and so modifications are in place to deal with this. Glasses are of the pince-nez type, that clamp onto the bridge of the nose with the help of a small spring, and have no arms, avoiding the ears. Goggles with a strap that passes above or below the ears is another possibility. Hats and helmets have notches to accommodate the ears for those who need it. I haven't given much thought to headphones since my universe lacks them, but I think some form of earbuds might the solution, but depending the size and shape of her ear canals, these might have to be custom made.

Vvashjr

Minstrel
If the race is an established one in a city/establishment, pretty sure there would be headgear that caters to her racial specification.

If not, maybe it might be an interesting angle to see how she would cope with equipment that does not fit her, what she would do/react to it. Might be a whole new subplot involving her trying to get approval for custom made gear, or doing some side project for funds to pay for a custom made gear. And how she feels about all these. Is it a discrimination thing? Or ? etc

It also depends on how common the species in question is in a given society. If her species is numerous, and well-known and represented, then finding equipment that fits her might not be an issue; but if her people are new or rare, then she might have to make do with standard gear, or get custom equipment if possible. I would strongly recommend against duct tape, since she'll have to take it off at some point, and she'll probably rip out a bunch of hair in the process.

Tecnicaly she is human, a geneticaly engeneared sub spicies of human. The cat people are less than 1 % of the human population. Less than that acualy. Around 100 k on Earth and a around 1o k in other places. Most of the standart human equpment work just fine on them.
The problem with helmets is that the cat ears are super sensitive. With some training a cat-sniper can shot a cloaked enemy by detecting the target's heartbeat/breathing.