• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

On Roald Dahl

pmmg

Myth Weaver
This'll be my last post in the thread, unless I need to clarify a statement that gets misinterpreted.

Best way to leave a thread, is to just stop posting in it. I've nothing to add, that's not been said already. Good luck Mr. Dahl. Busy Bodies of the future, my answer is no.

Queshire

Auror
Nah, the best way to leave a thread is to stuff it full of dynamite and not look back at the resulting explosion like a badass.

To me the story still does the thing it needs to from everything I've heard and there's not even a great deal of nuance lost by going with enormous vs enormously fat.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Last edited:
When I was young, anytime I found a book that said, "Edited and revised" or "Revised version," I usually put it down and started looking for the original. I kind of hated the idea of reading something that was altered from the original—when I knew it was. There were exceptions, because I also liked translations, heh.

I think this sort of label ought to be required so no author has words stuffed into his mouth. Plus, the original needs to be made available and not sequestered behind an iron wall, lock and key.

Otherwise, I'm not too troubled. Yeah, I don't like hearing the radio-friendly versions of songs that I love in the original versions, but I let them slide sometimes. (Biggest repeated example: Radiohead's "Creep" on every televised talent show....)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Now that you mention it, when I go looking, I try to avoid anything that says abridged, or edited. I do go looking for the source...which probably I should have passed on with the Silmarillion ;) That one was hard to get through.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Oh, is that Dragon Ball Z?

Yugioh Abridged made a run through my house. But not DBZ (far as I know). Did not know they had one.

I preferred straight Yugioh.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, when I go looking, I try to avoid anything that says abridged, or edited. I do go looking for the source...which probably I should have passed on with the Silmarillion ;) That one was hard to get through.

When I was very young, I owned a copy of an abridged version of Oliver Twist, and it was my favorite book. A couple years or so later, I found the original in a school library, and I was angry that I had been "tricked" before. That's how I learned what "abridged" meant, lol.