• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Physical symptoms of standing for too long

Somélle

Acolyte
As in a form of punishment. Seven-ish, eight hours of standing without the posibility of resting the legs. Would go on for like a week.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
One thing I learned when I was in the army is you can sleep in any position, even standing at attention.

Seven hours would be hard. Your feet would probably hurt, and that might last more than a day. But not a week, I would think. (As I got older, I would probably get back pain, and sciatic pain as well, but it would also last only a day or so).

While in the army, I had numbness in toes that lasted for weeks, and did not go away till I was out and stopped wearing the boots.

I think many people have professions that lead to this, so I think it is not too injurious. It is possible to pass out from standing too long with your knees locked.

Seven / eight hours is a standard work shift, and in a physical job this is not uncommon. What is the specific punishment? I know some punishments used to be along the lines of being made to stand on a small stone in the middle of a room full of cold water, and prisoners would be made to stand in one position for as long as they could stand for without food or water until they could no longer stand…

Specify

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Muscle cramping in the foot, compression in knees and spine. This will cause muscles in those areas to tighten leading to discomfort or pain in those areas. Mental fatigue, confusion, delusions. They will engage in micro sleeps despite their, or anyone's, efforts to stay awake. Eventually they should pass out unless kept awake through chemical means.

R. R. Hunter

Troubadour
Sounds like a job in retail or food service. Torture.

Constant pressure on the feet can cause swelling, inflammation, and muscle cramps. They will have poor circulation, which can lead to numbness in the legs. Then there's the obvious fatigue and muscle strain. Muscles may start to spasm or even tear. These symptoms would be worse after a week, but long term effects might be blood clots or musculoskeletal disorders, such as lower back pain and repetitive strain injuries.

Sounds like a job in retail or food service. Torture.

Constant pressure on the feet can cause swelling, inflammation, and muscle cramps. They will have poor circulation, which can lead to numbness in the legs. Then there's the obvious fatigue and muscle strain. Muscles may start to spasm or even tear. These symptoms would be worse after a week, but long term effects might be blood clots or musculoskeletal disorders, such as lower back pain and repetitive strain injuries.
I used to work in retail and can vouch for this, five days at uni then either another day or two working in retail. Invest in a good pair of shoes would be my advice, I used to wear doc martens.