• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Reasons for War Between Two Religions

Ravana

Istar
As far as I'm aware, history does not record precisely who made the decision to pitch the Catholic representatives out the window. In all likelihood it was the Count von Thurn, who was the leader (official or otherwise) of the delegation of Protestant nobles meeting with them, though that isn't entirely certain.

The fall, by the way, was apparently intended to be a fatal one, if Thurn was quoted correctly in later documents. Given that the source of the quote was one of the three men given the heave-ho, that should probably be regarded as an open question. Two other members of the Catholic group were allowed to depart unmolested, so take that for whatever it's worth.

Certainly, molesting a couple of prominent members of the opposite religion would not have justified war all by itself. It was, as mentioned, only the spark. It's the background against which the act took place that mattered; had this been the act of a handful of radicals in an otherwise peacefully coexisting society, there might have been a few floggings handed out (well, more likely fines: these were nobles, not commoners), and nothing else would have come of it. Instead, Europe got the Thirty Years' War. Which was a traumatic enough event that there was a continent-wide observation of the signing of the peace that ended it… on its 350th anniversary, in 1998.

We don't even have that much history in the U.S. And we can't remember most of what we do have. It's embarrassing, really.… :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan

Minstrel
I'll only give two short bits which I hope will help...

First is my own: many people, even today, consider religion to be the only foundation for morality and social mores. They think that if you have a different (or - gasp - none at all!) religion, you are a sociopath who will not flinch at eating babies if it pleases you. Nonbelievers are seen as dangerous and alien. There is also the natural inclination to be part of a group- which means excluding and hating other groups. We do it with nations and sports teams all the time.

The second bit is from Dashiell Hammett's pen: it's really all about the loot...

In summary, as Ravana said, once you've got these two things you just need any excuse whatever and severed limbs will be flying.

Last edited: