• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Release Timing

Telcontar

Staff
I'm going to be self-publishing my first novel either later this month or early next, and I'm wondering on the timing of some of the "other material" I'm going to be putting out as well - namely, an audio trailer.

It's pretty cool, if I do say so myself. I've got the initial concept recording done and it already sounds goods to me. Chances are I could have the final product in a week... and then what?

Does anybody here think it would be a good idea to release this before the novel itself is available, in this hopes that it might build a little bit of notice? As in, I put the trailer up on youtube and hopefully it'll still be 'gathering steam' and views when the actual novel is released...

On the other hand, given that I am a new self-published author and the actual chances of 'building steam' are fairly low, should I make sure not to miss out on any possible sales from people who DO see the trailer and decide they want to check out the book right then?

Right now, I'm leaning towards only releasing the trailers when the book itself is ready, but I wanted to hear some other opinions.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It depends. Do you have an audience/readership who will see it? If you do, you should release it about 6 weeks before your book (which, I guess, sounds like now). If there's almost nobody who will see it upon release, then release about as soon as it's ready in the way you would anything else - your trailer needs to build an audience, too.