• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sent my first book to the publisher: Shadows and Light

Joe McM

Minstrel
Hi everyone, I'm sorry I haven't posted much recently. I had my head down, focusing on finishing my first novel and submitting it to the publisher (a self-publishing company).

The book is called Shadows and Light: Journeys of a Spirit Healer. Here's the current draft of the hook:

Misunderstood and gifted with extraordinary healing powers, young Thom Macirdan faces ridicule. When his abilities attract dangerous attention, Thom is thrust into a journey of self-discovery. To uncover his purpose and learn how his gifts can help others, he must harness his powers and navigate a world that fears and covets his abilities.

This novel is the first in a five-book series. As I scan through the proof that the publisher sent me, I am amazed that it's becoming a reality, having started it about three years ago.

Rexenm

Inkling
A story about a heeler sounds good. I have read one about a dying priest visiting a tribal village. There were totems and record keeping. I wonder why they covet his abilities. It sounds like some passive smoke binge is about to take place. So the story seems to be about a romance on the side, action-adventure, and the journey of a fugitive. The government, church, and system are after him/her, and they still triumph over this?

Congratulations on getting your first novel published! It's a great milestone
publisher (a self-publishing company).
Just please be wary of self-publishing companies. They aren't publishers in the traditional sense. Traditional publishers pay authors so they can publish books and sell them to book buyers. The book buyer is the customer and the author is a supplier.

Self-publishing companies get money from authors to publish books. The author pays them, and for them, the author is the customer, not the book buyer. They are often scams (though not always, I don't know in this case). Whatever you do, don't think they are a trad publisher, and be very wary of sending money their way for anything unless it's very clear what you get in return. Remember, you are their customer. They get their money from you, not from readers.

Congrats on getting your first book finished. You’re promoting it on here, but I’m curious as to whether you plan to release it as an e-book or what your methods of promoting the paperback aren’t you’ve gone to a self publishing company?

Joe McM

Minstrel
Congratulations on getting your first novel published! It's a great milestone

Just please be wary of self-publishing companies. They aren't publishers in the traditional sense. Traditional publishers pay authors so they can publish books and sell them to book buyers. The book buyer is the customer and the author is a supplier.

Self-publishing companies get money from authors to publish books. The author pays them, and for them, the author is the customer, not the book buyer. They are often scams (though not always, I don't know in this case). Whatever you do, don't think they are a trad publisher, and be very wary of sending money their way for anything unless it's very clear what you get in return. Remember, you are their customer. They get their money from you, not from readers.
Prince of Spires: I appreciate the warning. I am aware of scams. The publisher I'm going with, As You Wish Publishing, is not a scam. I've already contributed to a collaborative book that was published in February of this year. Like you said, I paid to contribute to that book, and I'm paying to have my fantasy book published. I'm also aware of the difference between traditional and self-publishing. My reason for going with self-publishing is that I wanted to ensure all five of the books in my series were published. I didn't want the possibility of a traditional publisher preventing me from publishing the four upcoming books in the series if the first didn't sell as they wanted. Thanks again for the warning though.

Joe McM

Minstrel
Congrats on getting your first book finished. You’re promoting it on here, but I’m curious as to whether you plan to release it as an e-book or what your methods of promoting the paperback aren’t you’ve gone to a self publishing company?
It will be both e-book and paperback. As for promotions, the self-publisher is helping with that some, via the options I signed up for, including support to market as an Amazon bestseller, and including an IngramSpark listing so it can be shelved in Barnes and Noble bookstores and others. I plan to reach out to local bookstores and donate a copy to hopefully spark some interest and see where it goes.

Joe McM

Minstrel
A story about a heeler sounds good. I have read one about a dying priest visiting a tribal village. There were totems and record keeping. I wonder why they covet his abilities. It sounds like some passive smoke binge is about to take place. So the story seems to be about a romance on the side, action-adventure, and the journey of a fugitive. The government, church, and system are after him/her, and they still triumph over this?
Interesting. This book is for the Young Adult market, so the main character is not quite 9 years old at the start of the first book. The book has action and adventure and a spiritual underpinning that's based on the philosophy that people follow a path of beliefs that makes sense to them.

Joe McM

Minstrel
Is the MC more like a salesman, or an ideas man, or is it evenly spread?
The MC, Thom, is a young boy at the start, not yet 9 years old. I wouldn't characterize him as a salesman or an ideas man, per se. He struggles with not fitting in and wondering what his place is in the world. Thom's healing gifts take him on a journey through which he discovers who he is and his innate goodness, which ultimately leads to his purpose as a spirit healer, per the book's subtitle.

It will be both e-book and paperback. As for promotions, the self-publisher is helping with that some, via the options I signed up for, including support to market as an Amazon bestseller, and including an IngramSpark listing so it can be shelved in Barnes and Noble bookstores and others. I plan to reach out to local bookstores and donate a copy to hopefully spark some interest and see where it goes.
Best of luck with it. I thought perhaps you had a niche audience in mind, maybe selling only in the local community.

Joe McM

Minstrel
Best of luck with it. I thought perhaps you had a niche audience in mind, maybe selling only in the local community.
Thanks for your good wishes. I don't have a niche audience as far as where they live. However, the book and series content implies an audience who like fantasy and question their place and purpose. The target age is young adults, but my sense is that the book won't be limited to that age.