• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Shameless Self-Appreciation Thread

Fyri

Inkling
My dudes! I have finished!

The list is complete and I have written an article for each thing. Also, it grew into 9 ways to cut down your word count, but shhhh. In five years from now, perhaps I will make a counter-list, how to increase your word count. XD

My dudes! I have finished!

The list is complete and I have written an article for each thing. Also, it grew into 9 ways to cut down your word count, but shhhh. In five years from now, perhaps I will make a counter-list, how to increase your word count. XD
Tell DONT show?!? gasp, swoon, glance around for fainting couch.

Great article! I agree with you and hope the common advice that anything shorter than 120k words won't get published is going away. I love the tomes, but I think the number of "epics that could have been a novella" is increasing.

Fyri

Inkling
Tell DONT show?!? gasp, swoon, glance around for fainting couch.

Great article! I agree with you and hope the common advice that anything shorter than 120k words won't get published is going away. I love the tomes, but I think the number of "epics that could have been a novella" is increasing.
Well, the main reasons they dont go over well is usually 1) cost and 2) reader interest. I think cost will become less of a problem as more and more people are turning to digital and audiobook copies. But reader interest/trust is a tricky one. Readers are less likely to buy a tome from an author they dont know and trust to tell a story well. That probably won't go away. :/

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Just anecdotally, cause I don't know that I am representative of anything, but I find that given the internet market (Amazon), I often don't know if the book is a tome or not before buying. I almost always, if not always, look at the sample before buying anything. I want to see the quality of the writing. If I see a lot of errors or clumsiness on the first page, or throughout, I'll probably move on as its not really ready for prime time. Sometimes, I'll buy anyway, but its for other reasons.

The best way to get me to buy without a lot of scrutiny is have an audio book.

Fyri

Inkling
Just anecdotally, cause I don't know that I am representative of anything, but I find that given the internet market (Amazon), I often don't know if the book is a tome or not before buying. I almost always, if not always, look at the sample before buying anything. I want to see the quality of the writing. If I see a lot of errors or clumsiness on the first page, or throughout, I'll probably move on as its not really ready for prime time. Sometimes, I'll buy anyway, but its for other reasons.

The best way to get me to buy without a lot of scrutiny is have an audio book.
I'm on a budget and only get one audiobook a month. Your audiobook needs to sell me as well.

However, my method is usually
1) find book
2) Skim summary for interesting bits or turn offs
3) If interesting bits exist, read whole summary
4) Check reviews
5) If reviews look promising, put on list to read/get.

For audiobooks, I judge how long I want to spend dedicated to listening to it. Lately, I've been wanting longer books because I hate sitting the rest of the month with no good stories to listen to, and I also hope that I will still be enjoying it when I get a new audible credit, so that I can start stockpiling books. XD But, yeah, it needs to be good because I have many other things I can listen to if it's boring or frustrating.